1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Vandenberg AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Land use on base

What base are you at and can you wheel on base?

Just got the policy letter from the wing commander today--NO WHEELING on base, unless for official use only. 99K acres of California that use to be ok to wheel on are GONE! I'm a responsible wheeler thats picks up trash and makes sure that it was the same if not better than I left it. This is an issue that might need to be addressed at the DoD level. I understand that some areas are off limits, but to cut off trails that are established and mapped should be open for rec use. Responsible wheeling and official use can work together to enjoy and maintain the base. Thats my 2 cents.

Most of these trails are for powerline maintenace and base infastrucure to outlining sites. There was an OHV course at one time, at said base, that shared land with the base exercise area, the OHV area got shut down due to an EOD issue. It was cleaned up, the exercise area is still good to go, the OHV area, not so much.

Pork - the one you love! tomsjeep's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1995

Closest Installation

Camp Robinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ft. Irwin has large areas "roped off" because of some turtle. It used to be prohibited to drive any POV out on the ranges of Army posts I've frequently been on (Ft. Jackson, Ft. Chaffee, Camp Robinson) but NCOs often did anyway. However that was quite some time ago. I doubt things are going to get any better.
    2007 Liberty, Black, 245x70r16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor "Miss Libby" (I didn't pick the nick)
    2002 Wrangler Sahara, Black & Tan, 31x10.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, ARB Bullbar, etc.
    Bristol (Sailstar) Corsair & 2 kayaks.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheeling on FT Belvoir will get you dragged into the Provost Marshall's Office. Ask me how I know.

There is no operation of POVs off the hardball road anywhere on FT Belvoir - posted or not.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

out here we have "tertiary roads" which are for the most part unimproved roads that go to alot of fishing, hunting, and other low access areas. theres even maps of the roads available at range control. the last time i went out to knights pond the road to get there was BAD, im talking 3-4 wash outs, huge boulders washed down into it. best fishing trip ive ever had. BUT at last like everywhere some shithead in a mid 80's chevy on baldas 35's decides to go get stuck, leave his truck out there for a week, and then call a towtruck to pull him out. that road got fenced off after that.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was at Ft Polk, I was friends with the Fish & Wildlife Game Warden. He told be not to be stupid with what I did, and if I saw troops training, just turn around. That was 5 years ago though. Things may have changed.

At Ft Lewis, where currently stationed (but in Iraq), I just keep a fishing rod in the Jeep when I go out. I am not stupid with what I do or where I go, I can self recover, and I go check with Range Control to see what's "open" for rec use. It seems that alot of down range is closed alot of the time, so it's really whatever I can get open. I have been all around Ft Lewis' training areas, without issues. I ran into the downrange patrol once. I told them I was lost, looking for the lake to go fishing (they didn't know I had a map and GPS in the center console , and I knew exactly where I was ). After about 10 minutes of BSing, the showed me how to get to the lake.

It also doesn't hurt to be a MP.

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here on Ft Wood you can drive on ANY road on post that has a nuber or letter name. Example Ft LeonardWood EE or Ft Leonard Wood 4 but all the side fire breaks and such are off limits even though they are on the hunting and fishing map. However I talked to a game warden on post and he said he won't mess with guys hunting or fishing but he can usually tell if someone is wheeling and its a healthy fine
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camp Pendleton has so much backyard area to wheel on. If it's a range or a road range it is posted 'no POV', unless of course you have a range pass. doesn't hurt to know a guy who knows a guy. Red Beach is goood wheelin.
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ft Knox also if you know a guy that knows the guy... TA 12 is the $h!t...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a bummer! Back in the mid '90's at Ft. Hood, all you had to do was check in at Range Control, find what areas were open, and get a pass.

(you also had to take a 20 minute class once a year, to use the areas, that was no big deal)

Had to be out by dark, and notify Range Control if you left a rig overnight.

If someone screwed up, they punished that person by suspending thier down range, hunting, fishing privelidges, they didn't close the area down.

We were on good terms and first name basis with the range control guys, they were both Military and civilians, and they took care of the hunting areas, let ya know what was closed open, etc.

They would call us when someone got stuck, becuase we knew the areas.

Sucks that bases are closing areas to wheeling.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HillBillE, I was at Hood from 94-98. I remember those days. We would wheel anywhere that there was no training going on. Just looked at the big map at range control to see what was open and say, "We are going here for the day." As long as you checked out at the end of the day, all was good.

Now at Fort Drum, NY= No wheeling at all at anytime. You get caught, you get to go see the Garrison CSM.

Times have changed.
    treefrog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast