Served
    Served
    1988 to 1993

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default transfer drop ?

I have an 82 cj5, I put a 2.5 suspension lift on it because i did'nt want to go real high with it. someone gave me some lift shackles about 1.5 inches. if i put those on will i have to drop the transfer. and what dictates how far to lower it ? i.e. could i get away without a drop, could i put .5 inch bushings ,1 inch spacers . how do i know? do i just buy a lowering kit? or make my own? any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks !

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you are looking at a total of around 4"? If so, you might want to throw a drop on there. If you want to be really cheap, get hockey pucks and drill them out. If not, get some 1"x1" square tube, cut it down and drill out the mount holes. i know there is an article, just have to find it...Give me a bit.

DEATH BEFORE SHORE DUTY! SquiDMonkeY's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped my T-case by taking out one of the bolts, going to the hardware store, getting 4 bolts exactly the same, but 1 inch longer, and a crap load of washers and a few lock washers. Cost me 3 bucks. Stacked the washers and lock washers 1 inch high, and walla. instant 1 inch spacer. It's not the prettiest looking thing, but it's under the jeep, nobody notices.
    93 Cherokee Sport - Mine
    09 Dodge Journey - ComNavWife's

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the lift shacles are 1 1/2" longer than stock, it'll only give you 3/4" lift.

(if they are 3" longer than stock, then you'll get 1 1/2")

Lift shackles will screw up your steering, although if they're the short ones (3/4" lift) it won't be bad.

The T-case drop will depend on the driveshaft angle, if it's binding at full droop, or under power, then you'll need one.

I'd make your own, as suggested. Use spacers, washers, square stock. As long as you get the 6 bolts back in tight (and only drop the Tcase an inch or less) you'll be good.

Save you're money on buying one, for a CJ all it is is 3/4 or 1" aluminum square stock and longer bolts anyway!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1988 to 1993

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next question...the only reason I wanted to put the extra 1.5 on it was so i could put some 33's under it. would'nt it kind of defeat the purpose of lifting it and inch if im going to lower the belly and inch. should i just stick with the 31's. or should i put a i inch body lift under it ?....the main objective is to just get far enough into the trails i can watch everybody else tear up their shit. I just want to wheel easy.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go with the 1" body lift. I wouldn't personally go more, it leads to more issues (linkage/wiring/fan/steering column) And the BL doesn't mess with the front axle angles, like lift shackles do.

I run 33x12.5-15's on my CJ7, with 3" spring and 1" BL.

Worst case, you need to install longer bumpstops to prevent rubbing.

You still maintain clearance, and still have 'droop'.

But you're right, adding longer shackles, then dropping the skidpan, kinda defeats the pupose.

You can only lift a 5 so high, without running into problems with the short rear driveshaft. But fitting 33's shouldn't be a problem.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Body lifts are not terrible, they are just not that great IMHO. If you want to do it right, just save up the coin, get a decent lift, throw a SYE on your t/c and call it a day rolling your 33's or 35's.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1988 to 1993

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys...honestly....the cj5 is way too short for my tall ass anyway, I feel like a shriner in a go-kart. I just came across it at a good deal, figured I would tear it down re-paint it and make it a little nicer than what it was. The wife and I have property at lake tillery,"right down the road from Uwaharrie national forrest,OHV trails. so we went over and tried it out and were hooked. so i lifted it added a winch and some lights and paint and seats and bla...bla..bla. anyway.. i think i will give it to her and look for a new project. maybe a tj or yj..which ever one has the coil springs. any recommendations? oh...and is it okay to mount a hi-lift on the hood .or is that percieved as stupid

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a guy with a CJ7 up here that has his hi lift in a hard case and mounted to the cowl/hood. I liked that setup. I just tucked mine on the floor in the back to keep it out of the elements. If you keep it outside, it ups the maintenance for it (in my opinion).

CJ5's are awesome, and it sucks to see you giving it away. PM Oldschool if you want to see a great 5 running on 34's.

If you get a TJ, you can count on having everything be more complex. I built a TJ and now have a CJ7 and love the simplicity of the entire package. TJ's are great, way more comfortable, and have more amenities, but become a little more complicated with lifting and such.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Navydoc8778 View Post
    .......throw a SYE on your t/c .....
    CJ's don't need a SYE, they have a yoke.

But either way, on a 5 the rear rive shaft is really short, so a cardan joint is usually needed for a decent lift.

There are some write-ups for modding the rear fender well, to allow the seat to be moved back farther. But if your wife likes wheeling, why not give it to her and start a new project!

Nothing wrong with the Hi-Lift on the hood, unless you like to run with the windshield down. It's easy to scratch the paint also, putting it on/off the hood.

TJ's are the coiled rigs, YJ's still have the leaf springs.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast