User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: need help with soft top to hard top

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ft. Polk
    Posts
    334

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default need help with soft top to hard top

    Well my delima right now is i dont know jack about the hardware needed to install a hardtop..but ive got a chance to get one real cheap..im running a stock soft top, what would i need to do to put on this hardtop?

  2. #2
    Senior Member HillBillE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    13,934

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

    Closest Installation

    Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Type of Jeep will help

    At least on CJ's, you can bolt them on, or use topper clamps for the back.

    The front (on CJ's) has 5 screws.

    Biggest thing is doors, some soft doors will fit hard tops, and some won't.

    If you have 'tracks' around the tub for the soft top, those will have to be removed, as will the windshield channel if there is one.

    Not sure about the newer, multiple piece hard tops. (like some JK's)


    As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.


    "Certified Jeep Junky!"


  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ft. Polk
    Posts
    334

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    Type of Jeep will help

    At least on CJ's, you can bolt them on, or use topper clamps for the back.

    The front (on CJ's) has 5 screws.

    Biggest thing is doors, some soft doors will fit hard tops, and some won't.

    If you have 'tracks' around the tub for the soft top, those will have to be removed, as will the windshield channel if there is one.

    Not sure about the newer, multiple piece hard tops. (like some JK's)
    Yea sorry about that..my top is held onto the header with some screws thru the front of the top(soft top) and all this stuff is for a 97 TJ of course i havent even seen this top only my in-laws have, but im pretty sure it isnt for a TJ..any idea of any other jeep years i could make fit my tj?
    Last edited by Sniperx9119; 12-23-2009 at 20:04.

  4. #4
    covered in mud tickwomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Camp Pendleton
    Posts
    1,918

    Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i'm pretty sure for TJ's you can just take off all the soft top hardware and door surrounds, and throw the hard top on and bolt it down... but i didn't go to college or anything so don't quote me. my buddy is running half doors with soft uppers with his hard top and it works fine
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

    www.4x4corps.com

    www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ft. Polk
    Posts
    334

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    im reading around and no one knows for sure what year this hard top is from..but ive heard someone say they thought it was from an 82..ive heard of a cj7 hard top being trimmed to fit..and advice or ideas? or know anyone who would want a soft top for a hardtop? lol

  6. #6
    Senior Member HillBillE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    13,934

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

    Closest Installation

    Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniperx9119 View Post
    im reading around and no one knows for sure what year this hard top is from..but ive heard someone say they thought it was from an 82..ive heard of a cj7 hard top being trimmed to fit..and advice or ideas? or know anyone who would want a soft top for a hardtop? lol
    CJ's and YJ's are interchangable (with some minor changes)

    But I don't think it will fit a TJ.

    If it is an '82, then it's from a CJ. One way to tell, is to try it. (if you're close enough)


    As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.


    "Certified Jeep Junky!"


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ft. Polk
    Posts
    334

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    CJ's and YJ's are interchangable (with some minor changes)

    But I don't think it will fit a TJ.

    If it is an '82, then it's from a CJ. One way to tell, is to try it. (if you're close enough)
    i saw somewhere over on jeepforum.com or somewhere like that that a guy got a cj7 top to fit hit tj with some cutting and adding the clamps from the softtop
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cj...ardtop-740392/
    Last edited by Sniperx9119; 12-23-2009 at 22:45.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the MJ Supporter Membership for a little less than $0.06 a day and get more space, 2 MJ Stickers and no banners ads. [Check it out]