Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WJ Build 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I am planning to retire (24 yrs in USAF) this summer and take my sons on a cross county expedition camping trip (inspired by info on expeditionportal.com…thanks to the guy that pointed me to that web site) in our 2000 WJ (V8, QuadraDrive, Off-road pkg) w/custom off-road trailer. I've been jeepin for over 30 years, modified several Jeeps, wheeled over many parts of the world, etc. This build will take about 6 months to complete as funds and time are available.

What I am looking at for this daily driver/cross country expedition build is sufficient lift to run a 31 inch tire (255X75R16) with good articulation and ride. I am partial to Old Man Emu (OME) suspension systems, but would like advice on lifts if anyone has done a WJ.
    Rocky Road seems to have a pretty complete kit and utilizes the OME components.

I am considering two types of tires...BFG AT or Revos. Thoughts?

I have a Warn 9500i winch and ViAir compressor that I will be installing as well. Any tips on a good spot for the compressor would be appreciated.

I have contacted custom4x4fabrication.com in OKC, OK for front and rear bumpers, winch mount and tire carrier. I have run their products on several Jeeps. The quality is spot on and they are built to order which means Mike (owner) can customize to my specifications. I am asking him to make my tire carrier height adjustable so I can keep the tire as low as possible, but have the ability to adjust it if I go to larger tires later. I also asked him to tilt the tire a little pre-runner style rather than straight vertical. On the front, I have asked him to integrate PIAA 5" fog lights so they are flush mounted in the bumper.

Finally, I asked Mike to design some side bar protection for the WJ. He does not have these yet for the WJ, but does for TJs and XJs.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you have a great idea for your WJ. muddyluxury has a built WJ and should be able to offer great insight on build ideas. He's also in the NOVA area, so maybe you guys can link up.

Finally, when you get started, we need pics.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first welcome.... second stay the heck away from rock road outfitters!!!! the springs are great b/c they are OME everything else about that lift is below sub par. go with IRO or kevins offroad.

u mention OK offroad if your out in OK i can't really help you by pointing things out on my rig but if your in the DC area and want to catch up for lunch and a rig look over let me know and i will be more than happy to help
    -Jeb

99 GC Ltd. V8. plenty of goodies, 6in lift 33s, rear locker, 12v cooler, steel bumpers fr+rr, Roof Top Tent,
    01 TJ 4.0 auto.. stock street queen for now.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx Jeb. I am in DC and would like to see your rig and discuss my project. I am looking at IRO 4" kit w/upgrades. PM me to discuss. Thanks!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USAF

Pulled the trigger today on the IRO 4" kit with Bilstein shock upgrade, JKS Quicker Disconnect Upgrade, Bar pin eliminators, A-Arm bracket, T-case drop and new isolators all the way around. I will probably need to install a new steering stabilizer to round this package out. Any recommendations there?

Tires...I think I am going with 265X75R16 BFG ATs. I have had good luck with them over the years on and off road. The Revos 2 are probably better on road, but I can't see that tread design doing as well as the BFGs on the trail.

Bumper fabrication at custom4x4fabrication is progressing. Mike has the PIAA flush mounting figured out. He is working on adding rear white LED back-up lights to augment the stock lights. The 2" LED lights look a bit puny, so I am shipping him some 4" LEDs to try. He is also working to tilt the rear spare to match the angle of the rear glass. I think this will look much better than a vertical mount.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone mounted an air compressor in a WJ? I am thinking of locating it where the non-functioning multi CD player is housed. Thoughts?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IRO components arrived within 5 days of ordering ... Nice start. Thx IRO. I will be taking everything to MVC for install, some custom nerds, and tires. Can't wait to see how it drives.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to meeting you and working on your rig.

I have to ask, WTF is a custom nerd?? LOL
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are just like nerf bars except painted plaid and framed in plastic. Ok...ok...after looking up the definition of "nerf" (not recommended), I will refer to this accessory as rock sliders, rocker guards, etc.
    Last edited by GPNDave; 02-28-2010 at 08:50.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1982 to 2008

Closest Installation

McClellan AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the real world of wheeling jeeps..... The Grand way...lol

Here is mine. I know your not going this extreme. I also included the OBA i have for an idea of what you can do. Other things to keep in mind is the front drive shaft on lifted WJs. You might wanna carry a spare or get a single/dbl cardan built after you have it lifted. Also look for a tran skid plate. There are several companies that make bolt on rock rails. I built mine.

http://www.rocky-road.com/grandrockrail.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Grand-Che.../dp/B000LQM1XM
    http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/testimonials.html
    http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJS

Last edited by GCJEEPING; 02-28-2010 at 13:23.
    01 Grand, 6in lift, 33's, Aussie locked 30/35, rock rails, Surco rack, grille guard, front and rear hitch, t-max 12500lb winch, rock lights, Mean geen alt, TJ transfer skid plate, OBA, thalf doors and a few other things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast