2002 to 2011

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TJ Transmission Trouble

Anyone know much about TJ transmissions?

It's a 1997 TJ 4.0 auto. transmission was rebuilt.. and worked well after that.. and then here recently this started happening:

when I put the TJ in drive it doesn't "go into drive" unless you smack back on the shifter to force it into gear.. anyone have any thoughts about what this could be? we are getting ready to do a build on the jeep so if I could figure this out it would be GREATLY helpful. I'd like it to be as reliable as possible when we do the build.
    Brady

CLICK ME!! -----> Virginia Krawlers <----- CLICK ME!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a cable issue. The cable may need to be adjusted or it may be sticking due to crap building up or it is binding because fraying.
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's

4merly Known As 1TN LSYJ Va Krawlers's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2011

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when I put it in "D" on the selector, nothing hapens, then you have to slap the selector lever to get it to engage. I just went out and played with it, and it seams the cable seams to not be frayed anywhere, and doesn't seam to bind anywhere, but on the transmission side, where the cable connects, the part that goes into the tranny (the linkage?) seams loose in the transmission. and I couldn't see how to tighten it up. also, it does seam to jerk when I put it in reverse and when I finally get it to engage drive. I assumed that was normal, is it not?

on a side note, here recently it ran low on tranny fluid (long story short, someone else was driving it, developed a leak, and they didn't check shit til it started making noises, then they complained to me) so now, in drive and reverse ONLY it makes a clacking noise.. no noise in any other gears just R and D. and it doesn't do it all the time.. mostly when its cold. any thoughts?
    Brady

CLICK ME!! -----> Virginia Krawlers <----- CLICK ME!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 2004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest pulling the pan. Look at magnet and filter. A-trans do not like not having fluid and will eat the clutch packs up real quick. If it looks fair replace the filter and fluid. The might add life back into it. The shift control on the trans should not have excessive play.
    2003 Rubi with 6" lift rolling 37's w/ beadlocks, armor for effect. Constant state of change, its a jeep thing!!

SOLD - 5.9 Grand with TNT Long Arms, KM2's, HP30 w/ARB & WJ Brake Conv., Rear 44HD Trussed & Skidded, 231 w/SYE, TW Drive Shafts & Custom Sliders

RIP: 2004 Rubi: 3" lift on 33's