1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Maxwell AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GPS Install - Not sure if right forum

Ok...I got a new GPS from St. NIck and want to do a permanent install in my 02 Wrangler...I don't want to use the mounting pieces that was provided...I would rather have it either in the center dash bezel or somewhere close...I don't want the great thieves of Montgomery to have an easy task of stealing it...With that, has anyone seen a GPS custom installed into the dash?..was thinking about modding the dash and installing a double din stereo mouting bracket and doing some fiberglass work to make it look good...I am open to any ideas...Thanks

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not much help as I have mine, Garmin mounted on top of the dash and I just pop it in an out when I need it so it is never there for some idiot to swipe. Same with my XM Radio. There is a factory install kit that mounts where that small dish is on the top of the dash, but I am guessing it only hold the $799 GPS that Mopar sells. The other thing you need to consider is the antenna placement. Does it have a remote antenna you can mount on the hood or is it internal to the unit? If it is internal to the unit than you really want it up on the dash to get the best signal.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Maxwell AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SGM O View Post
    Not much help as I have mine, Garmin mounted on top of the dash and I just pop it in an out when I need it so it is never there for some idiot to swipe. Same with my XM Radio. There is a factory install kit that mounts where that small dish is on the top of the dash, but I am guessing it only hold the $799 GPS that Mopar sells. The other thing you need to consider is the antenna placement. Does it have a remote antenna you can mount on the hood or is it internal to the unit? If it is internal to the unit than you really want it up on the dash to get the best signal.
    yeah its a Garmin 255W with an internal antenna...that's why i was wanting to put it near the stereo...was thinking about possibly doing something with the 2 vents above the stereo...because i am going to hardwire to the car so i don't have cords hanging all out of my cigarette lighter...