Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shimmy / Wobble Update

First and foremost...big thanks to Jeff & Kevin for helping me change out my ball joints, axle u-joints, & unit bearings this past Sunday! Even though Jeff spent most of the day at the hobby shop Saturday he was still willing to go back Sunday and spend just about the whole day there helping me out. I owe you big time!

Unfortunately, my jeep still has a slight shimmy at about 45 - 50mph. I've had the wheels & tires balanced several times...even a road force balance...along with several alignments. I also replaced a TRE that had a little play.

Even rotated the tires and aired down to about 22 - 23 psi after the initial test drive after changing out the ball joints, u-joints, & unit bearings. I checked the tires this morning and they were down to about 20 psi from the cold so I aired them back up to 22. Felt like my tires were spinning a little at 20 psi.

I'm interested in trying out the balancing where little ball bearings are installed between the tire / rim.

Other than that...I don't know what to try next.
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty much at a complete loss right now.... my only other suggestion would be to see if anyone's got a set of good tires laying around that you can swap on to your jeep for a test drive. If it's not the tires I have no freaking clue.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you say slight, can you describe it more? You should realize that you will likely never have that stock feel to driving it. Unless top dollar is spent on most parts, something will always feel a little funny.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you Watch the tires being balanced? Sometimes a shop may get a tire to balance out, but the tire may be out of round. If that is the case, you will never get it smooth at all speeds. Some brands of tires are made to closer tolerances than others. I've seen brand new tires look like eggs on the balancing machine.

I have a set of centramics that I bought after a got a set of tires that I couldn't get to balance out. They will help as long as your tires are not out of round, but don't count on them to be miracle workers.

Stop wasting your money at shops for front end alignments. Once you lift it, you have just changed your wheelbase length, and caster. You can dial them back in with adjustable upper and lower control arms (as long as you don't push the front pinion angle too far), but you will save yourself money by learning to do it yourself and set your toe-in between 0"-1/8".

Check for loose bolts/wallered out holes on your trackbar brackets. Control arm bushings that are going bad can also contribute to shimmy, death wobble.

Just my 2 cents.
    treefrog

Experienced General Ass

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2002

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really want to be able ride around without any wobble at all and are willing to do whatever it takes then I can help.

My jeep rides really smooth and I am willing to deal with the wobble you describe. Just come to the shop with title in hand and we will trade jeeps. Of course i give a tail light waranty.

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds ike either an out of round tire or rim. do you run steel rims?
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1987 to 2013

Closest Installation

NAS JRB Fort Worth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still get a slight wobble at 50/60 mph, but am not concerned because under heavy breaking I have no wobble. Do you get wobble under heavy breaking?

HOOYAH!!!
    Dan

HOOYAH!!!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

NAS North Island
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a similar problem on my ZJ, it ended up being the tires, see if someone else has a set you can throw on for a test drive to see if it still does it, at least you can narrow it down to the wheels or tires or you can rule it out and its free, thats what I would try next.
    '02 Wrangler TJ
    '04 Rubi
    '88 Wrangler YJ
    '94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
    '47 CJ2A

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are the shocks? If one or more are shot, it'll drive/ride funny.

I suggest the swap tires/wheels idea also.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torque everything under your front end to specs. Some guys have had luck with removing shimmy just by doing that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast