User Tag List

Thread: AAL and shakles? Do i need shims?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default AAL and shakles? Do i need shims?

Plan on building a bastard pack also have a 1.5-2'' shackle set ready to go on, if im only going about 3.5'' do i need to shim the leafs? i have read that if you run extended shackles you need to shim?
    -We have all put every last dime we have, and every minute of time into this. We have all sacrificed a lot in our lives. Some more than others, some for longer than others.-
    -
    Losers always whine about there best, Winners go home and f#*k the prom queen!
    -Jeep 1: 1998 XJ "Jamie" (sold)
    -Jeep 2: 1997 TJ "Jenna" (stolen)
    -Jeep 3: 1993 Xj "Junker" (sold)
    -Jeep 4: 2003 Tj "Irene"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put it together and drive it. If you have driveline vibrations, get yourself an angle finder and measure your driveshaft angle. If you are NOT running a CV driveshaft, your pinion and transfer case output should be parallel. If you are running a CV driveshaft, you pinion should be pointing directly at your transfer output shaft. Degree shims come in varying sizes for you to choose from to dial it in. Another alternative is a transfer case drop, but I am not a fan of those as I cannot see giving up ground clearance you just got by installing a lift. (it's your Jeep though) Take the time to set up your angles right and your u-joints and bearings will thank you later. Half ass it now and you will be changing u-joints on a regular basis wondering why you are rebuilding your transfer case sooner than all of your buddies.
    It's really not hard, but every Jeep is a little different. What works for your buddy with the same setup may not work for you.
    treefrog

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only issue with shims is, the tendency for the bolt that holds the spring pack together to break due to the extra force applied to it.
    My suggestion is to grind off, and reweld the spring perches to there new/needed position. That's the beat/safest way to do it.
    Later, T.J.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Vandenberg AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

treefrog and JavaTee are both right. I just had a Rubicon D44 installed in the back of my YJ with a SYE. I had the stock D35/drive shaft with shims and shackle lift, my rear u-joints grenaded. It ripped the muffler apart. Happy it was at a low speed and didn't pole vault the drive shaft in the ground and flip my jeep. Transfer case drop pucks are garbage unless you like to re-torque after wheeling. If you do shim, buy the steel ones instead of aluminum, unless you like to re-torque after wheeling.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so looks like im shimming. im running an np242. i know that i dont have/need a sye. would this make any difference is shimming?
    Last edited by Hamr25; 01-03-2010 at 03:44.
    -We have all put every last dime we have, and every minute of time into this. We have all sacrificed a lot in our lives. Some more than others, some for longer than others.-
    -
    Losers always whine about there best, Winners go home and f#*k the prom queen!
    -Jeep 1: 1998 XJ "Jamie" (sold)
    -Jeep 2: 1997 TJ "Jenna" (stolen)
    -Jeep 3: 1993 Xj "Junker" (sold)
    -Jeep 4: 2003 Tj "Irene"