2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Travis AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LED rock lights

I got a few of these little 4 chip led lights from here. I order 20 of them and used 14 for rock lights. Maybe a little kill for rock lights but I had them and I thought why not use them. I have to say they are very bright for how small they are, the light pattern is huge. I have under $100 into the whole setup and I am very happy with it.

sorry in advance for the pics they were taken with my cell phone.

Just to get this out of the way I suck at welding, I took a picture of what I thought was the best looking one out of the 14. I have messed around with welders in the past just never took on any sort of project.

I cut small tabs out of scrap steel I had lying around, I made them 2inx2in and welded them to the frame.

Here are 2 all finished on the passenger side 1 between each of the body mounts. I added 2 mounts to the front body mount, 3 on each side of frame between the tires, 1 on each side of the rear body mounts, 1 on each rear upper control arm mount inside the frame. I also drilled holes in the front fenders in front of the spring. The hole size for lights is 3/8ths, they just get pressed in. I added a little bit of glue on the back side of the light.

For the wire harness I used a wire harness I left in my jeep when I got rid of windshield lights.
    All wired up and working on the 1st try.

Bryan

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Goodfellow AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good, man! I'd advise a piece of tape to cover them and keep them clean while on hardball. When it's time to go wheelin, peel the tape off, and you're good to go!

About the welded mounts, though... Someone told me today that welding on the frame will weaken it. The weld itself is strong, but since the frame is tempered, the heat from the weld will weaken the surrounding metal. Not sure if he's BSing me (maybe some of the more experienced guys can give input?), or if this mod will even make a difference; in reference to the strength of the frame.

All-in-all, though, GREAT MOD!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JaceP View Post

About the welded mounts, though... Someone told me today that welding on the frame will weaken it. The weld itself is strong, but since the frame is tempered, the heat from the weld will weaken the surrounding metal. Not sure if he's BSing me (maybe some of the more experienced guys can give input?), or if this mod will even make a difference; in reference to the strength of the frame.

All-in-all, though, GREAT MOD!
    Those small welds shouldn't hurt anything.

There are some tricks to welding on frames, like avoiding a 90* vertical weld, but you can weld on them.

It's the bigger trucks (semi's/delivery trucks) that you have to be careful on.

Lights look good! I need to check out that sites 'architecnical' stuff. We run 12V lights at our cabin, and those LEDs would be perfect!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those look like some nice lights. Thanks for sharing.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)