2009 to Present

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Few Problems?

Ok i have a few more problems with my jeep. and you all have been wonderful for getting an idea on what they could be. Electrical Issues, was awesome, i love getting a straight forward No B.S when asking for help. any who, here is what i got.

98 xj, 4.0l 4speed auto, np242. first order of business would be the turn signals are doing there thing, now at first i thought i would be the turn signal switch in the steering column. the signals would flash my hazards 1-2 times then go to the direction i am turning. will not do this in park, only while moving, and i believe while the head lights are on only. the only indication i get on the dash is the light blinking in the direction i am turning. now i am wondering if this could be related to the fact that i have no reverse back up lights. none what so ever, they dont even flash or say hello. third being that the jeep will not start every once in a great while. the p.o. said that the neutral safety switch is going out. unlucky for me i have the four speed auto which cause like 275.00 for a new one. going to try and snag one this week end at pull a part. final order of business being that any time i am turning hard left, like full lock i get a sometimes violent sounding thud, or clunking noise. sometimes its only a slight shudder, and it can be felt through out the jeep. i figure bad cv joint or something simmilar? any insight would be awesome!
    -We have all put every last dime we have, and every minute of time into this. We have all sacrificed a lot in our lives. Some more than others, some for longer than others.-
    -
    Losers always whine about there best, Winners go home and f#*k the prom queen!
    -Jeep 1: 1998 XJ "Jamie" (sold)
    -Jeep 2: 1997 TJ "Jenna" (stolen)
    -Jeep 3: 1993 Xj "Junker" (sold)
    -Jeep 4: 2003 Tj "Irene"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neutral safety switch removal:
    http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl713i.htm

how to check the switch before pulling it out:
    http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/1-2swremov.htm

as for your clunking, it sounds like a u joint issue.
    lift up the front end, turn it hard left and spin the tire. look to see if there's any play in either of the axle shaft u joints.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is another write up about how to fix the switch. Hope it helps.

http://www.dirtdevils.org/XJNutralSwitch.htm

Also if you are on jeepforum.com, do an advance search using the key words "neutral safety switch" and there are several threads on them. Search all open forums as they are in several different ones.
    Last edited by airforce26yrs; 01-05-2010 at 22:50.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back up lights: Check fuse panel under glove box, on pass side kick panel. It's either fuse # 10 or 13 (I think) Anyway, the small book that comes with the Jeep, shows the spot as 'empty/not used/no fuse' or something like that.

Should be a 10amp fuse IIRC.

Especially check this if you did like me, and pulled/checked all the fuses, then reinstalled them according to the book

(the A/C fuse is listed as 'not used' also, on the '97-'98-'99's)

Blinkers: Could be the 'clock spring'-don't know much about them myself. Anyone?

Clunk: Could be U-joint/Cardan (also called CV)
    Could be an axle U-joint
    Could be ball joint(s)
    Could be a loose/bad TRE (mine was just doing that, TRE was loose in the knuckle!)

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    how to check the switch before pulling it out:
    http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/1-2swremov.htm
    From that link: " What he found is that the switch was, as he put it, "full of crap" and was causing intermittent transmission and backup light operation."

That about nails it on the head. its an intermittent won't start, and i have no reverse lights. still going to check all of my fuses and etc.
    -We have all put every last dime we have, and every minute of time into this. We have all sacrificed a lot in our lives. Some more than others, some for longer than others.-
    -
    Losers always whine about there best, Winners go home and f#*k the prom queen!
    -Jeep 1: 1998 XJ "Jamie" (sold)
    -Jeep 2: 1997 TJ "Jenna" (stolen)
    -Jeep 3: 1993 Xj "Junker" (sold)
    -Jeep 4: 2003 Tj "Irene"