Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default F'n wobble!

had a second road force balance done on Tuesday at mr. tire in fairfax. was real pleased with their customer service but unfortunately, the wobble remains. this was the first shop that used tap on weights instead of stick on weights (which we discussed prior to the work being done).

break

I explained the problems to them, told them I replaced several components and had several balance & alignment jobs all to no avail. I told them I was convinced it was a balance issue and that nobody else was able to perfectly zero my wheels / tires. They took my jeep with confidence and were shocked nobody else could fix the problem.

break

so, they told me they zero balanced all my wheels / tires with no issues. they said they were all kinds of jacked up by whoever did them last (seems to be the case everywhere I go).

I had just gotten an alignment & balance the week prior by ntb which I wasn't pleased with because when I left my steering wheel was never centered. I need to check my toe because I'm thinking maybe they dicked it up.

break
    Last edited by ezjeep; 01-14-2010 at 12:04. Reason: cell phone wheeling
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

waiting for the rest....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you have something else to add? Use Airsoft pellets in your tires, if you have the right amount in and they still shake, it's another issue.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think in order to rule out the tires, you need to swap on a set of tires from a jeep that has no wobbles what so ever.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you wobble free?
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    I still think in order to rule out the tires, you need to swap on a set of tires from a jeep that has no wobbles what so ever.
    Does one of those exist?? LOL

In all seriousness; are you feeling the wobble more in your steering wheel or in your seat? Is it all the time or only after you drive over a bump/frost heave/road seam, etc...?

Need more info on what/when the wobble occurs with specifics (if possible). What parts have you replaced already?
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ezjeep View Post
    are you wobble free?
    can't get one of my tires balanced.... so i've got a small shake between 50-55mph

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's really killing me is the fact that it was there with my stock wheels & tires before the lift. an alignment didn't fix the problem and a balance made it a whole hell of a lot better but it never fully went away.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when stock it was at 45 - 50 mph but only after hitting bumps with the wheel turned.

after lift it went to a steady 45 - 50 mph wobble. it didn't always occur before the last balance / alignment. now it's every time I hit that speed.

it's all steering wheel...

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ezjeep View Post
    when stock it was at 45 - 50 mph but only after hitting bumps with the wheel turned.

after lift it went to a steady 45 - 50 mph wobble. it didn't always occur before the last balance / alignment. now it's every time I hit that speed.

it's all steering wheel...

Also... ball joints, unit bearings and bad steering ends have been replaced.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast