Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Blower Motor Upgrade 78-86 CJ, 87-90 YJ

First off, big thanks to HillBillE for referring me to Terry’s write up here.

Second off, while I DID technically finish the install, I have to go back inside and clean the cuts up a bit. Therefore, I did NOT take pics of the second half, but will post the second half when I clean it up a bit.

RESULTS: This thing kicks. It’s 3 or 4 times stronger than the stock motor and takes care of business. Wish I had done it sooner.

Tools needed:
    -Basic mechanics tool set
    -Your choice of poison to cut into the firewall. You need to expand the hole in the firewall where your current motor resigns. The new one is considerably bigger and you have to accommodate the jeep for it. Angle grinder, dremmel, file, hack saw, hole saw (presents set of its own problems), or leatherman. Take your pick.

Parts Needed:
    Per Terry’s write up:
    “If you go to your local discount auto parts store, it is best not to confuse them with the truth. Ask them for a heater motor for a '73 Chevy Blazer with a 350 and air conditioning. The part is the same for all Blazers of that year regardless of engine size or air conditioning, but this is the normal stream of questions.”
    I went to Pep Boys and got it for 18.99. You’ll see the hang ups he didn’t anticipate with my particular vehicle.

Start point:
    I was also going to pull the dash and replace a couple gauges, so I had the spare dash out as well.

1. Take the battery out. The motor resides right under the tray, therefore you need to remove the tray as well.

2. Disconnect the wire to the motor and remove the l-shaped drainage hose.

3. In Terry’s write up, he states that you should drain ¼ of your coolant beforehand. I wasn’t able to due to the plug being in a vacuum, so I had to catch it with a bottle and tie the hoses up. Therefore, pull the two hoses that run to the core one at a time.

4. There are nuts on the engine side of the firewall that need to be removed to remove the housing. 2 are by the hoses you disconnected already, 1 is by the plug for the motor, and the last one is up the firewall where the battery sat (if I remember correctly). Mine only had 2 remaining, so I had to buy some more.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice!

looks like something I might be doing this year.....
    Getting my morning coffee at the mud truck. Don't ever talk to me until I've had my morning coffee. Seriously, don't. I'm venomous. @BronxZooCobra.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5. Go on the inside of the jeep and disconnect the defroster controller cable, the ductwork, and anything else your jeep in particular may have blocking your way. Since you undid the four bolts and hoses, it should be ready to come out. Back it out enough to get the core piping through the firewall and it should drop to the floor boards. Use a little finagling to get the housing out of the jeep.

6. Remove the blower motor from the housing.

7. Clean out the housing from anything that magically got in there. I have no idea how whole leaves got in there, but they’re out now.

8. Remove the fan from the motor.

9. Put the fan on the new motor.

Here’s where the problem started. Terry’s write up states that there should be no issues placing the motor back into the housing. Not true for me.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I trimmed the fan blades a little bit and it fit just fine.

We ghetto-cut the hole and were racing the sun to get it all buttoned back up. We won, and the heater is awesome. When I get it cleaned up I will finish with better pics.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awsome! Tony, (The PO of my CJ) had a 'stock' motor, but different squirrell cage (fan) and had cut the inside of the houing, rather than the fan, like you did. When I did the motor upgrade, I used the squirrell cage and housing from my 'donor' Jeep ('84 CJ) and it all fit well.

Did you mention the nut behind the valve cover? Mine had one there, not sure if the later CJ's do. Hard to reach that one.

You're gonna love the heat in the CJ now! The windows will actually DEFROST!!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris,

Great write up!! and nice pics. I'm going to check, I think that there are two different fan motors, one has a shorter shaft that the other....more homework.

Later, T.J.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaned up the hole. The last pic shows the 4th bolt I couldn't find earlier because there was no nut on it. So now we're 4/4.

Just reassemble like you disassembled. I'd have pics of finished product, but it's in pieces waiting for paint.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason you had to trim the fan blades is because you got the wrong motor. You got the PM107 motor which has a long shaft. The proper one is the PM102(short shaft) which is a direct bolt in. If you go to Autozone and ask for a CJ7 blower motor they will give you a Siemens/VDO PM102. It is listed as the replacement, but they don't say that the hole in the firewall needs to be enlarged. BTW, I used a pneumatic sheet metal nibbler to enlarge mine, worked like a CHAMP!
    This is a GREAT upgrade, I can actually DEFROST my windshield now!
    Last edited by CJ Chet; 01-22-2010 at 17:05.
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I asked my pep boys for anything, I get the usual line of questions (doesn't matter if it's lug nuts). His write-up gave the specifics and I followed them. The motor is still great, but I may buy another one and get a new fan. Then again, I may say f-it.

The problem I ran into now is that the hose and piece that goes into teh defrost vents is broken. Gonna replace it I guess.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    The problem I ran into now is that the hose and piece that goes into teh defrost vents is broken. Gonna replace it I guess.
    I LOVE CJ's!!

Later, T.J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast