Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cold weather affecting shocks??

I'm wondering if anyone else ever had this problem.

I have an '04 TJ Rubi with a Black Diamond 3.5" suspension lift and Black Diamond AT shocks (high fluid capacity twin-tube). The Jeep hasn't been driven much in the last four months (I know, sacrilege) and when I took it out last week, the rear end bounced like mad when I came to a stop or went over a good frost heave.

My question is if anyone ever had a problem with cold weather affecting their shocks so that it takes a while for them to come back into play? We've had quite a few days with the temp at 30 below zero and worse.

The Jeep has a hardtop and a 33" tire/wheel on a Warn swing-away tire carrier. The lift has only been on for about a year and a half. The shocks show no sign of leakage and I can't see the springs going soft in just a year and a half (and low mileage). I have never had this happen before in cold weather but this is the first time running the Black Diamond shocks.

I know Black Diamond isn't a high speed lift but at the time of installation, I was driving a lot on the highway. I put a Rubicon Express short arm kit on my last Rubi and I didn't want to go that route this time. I'll probably put a long arm kit down the road.

Thx

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a few of the more modestly priced shocks do that when I was still living back home...jump it a few times and they should settle in.