Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 4 Wheel Parts is CRAP!!!

Anyone that's been doing the offroad thing for any amount of time already knows 4 Wheel Parts is crap. Unfortunately it is the biggest and most recognized company out there catering to us. Those new to the sport often go 4WP and drop some big time $$$$ for lifts, tires, gearing, etc... because they don't know where else to go. I was that guy many years ago. I bought my lift from them (self install), tires, wheels, locker, and gears. I had them set up the gears for me because I wanted to make sure it was done right. BIG MISTAKE! Less than a month after the regearing the rear axle seized while on I-75 in Atlanta in afternoon traffic. I was lucky to skid off the side of the highway without being hit. I went back to the 4WP shop that did the work and told them what happened and how I expected them to fix it for free. Yeah right, that isn't how they responded. The manager asked me if I had purchased the "Gold Warranty." I replied that I had not, but I did pay for it to be done right. No problem he says, "I'll cut you a deal on the labor and only charge you $450." After much argueing and talking to the South East District manager on the phone they refused to help me. So I just did the regearing myself. While doing it I found out what they screwed up. They overtorqued the pinion nut causing too much preload. While on the phone with the district manager I told him that I would do everything possible in the future to prevent others from making the same mistake I did by visiting 4WP. I'm sure there are those out there that have had good experiences with them. I have been witness to more than a few of their shotty installations, a couple of which were deadly accidents just waiting to happen.
    Thanks for letting me rant. I can bash on 4WP all day long and not tell the same story twice. Thanks for letting me rant.
    A proud member of the best "Most F'd Up Club" in SoCal: http://www.4x4corps.com/

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not bought any of their stuff and do not plan to in the future. Thanks for the heads up and sorry this happened to ya.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1967 to 1971

Closest Installation

NWS Earle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for telling us what happened to you there. I will certainly avoid dealing with them.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have bought some things from them, but have not let them work on my Jeep and do not think I would. Ii is hard to believe that they would not make it right after just a month. I think I would have filed a claim in small claims court.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered their one of their wheel/tire combo's a little over a year ago (4 wheels, 4 tires, mounted, balanced, etc). I also ordered a single wheel/tire for my spare... this seemed to really confuse the sales person that I was talking with, so I spoke with a 2nd sales person. He seemed to understand that I needed a 5th wheel and tire for a spare.
    1 week later the truck pulls up, and out rolls 8 freaking tires. I run in and check my card statement.. sure enough, charged for 2 of their tire/wheel combo's.
    4WP said they'd be happy to take them back, but I had to cover shipping.
    In the end I ended up selling them out as single spares for about the same I would have got back from 4WP after shipping.

Never went back to their site again, and never will.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right after I got my LJ in 2005 I saw a 4WP add 'Were giving away the farm sale' depending on how much you spent you got hundreds of dollars off.

Worked for me. I purchased my lift, wheels, tires, ARB front bumper and Warn winch for about $500 less total than I would have paid anywhere else. Now the parts were shipped for self install and I was very careful to research and order EXACTLY what I wanted. Never used any of thier shop services. Now I generally prefer to support small vendors and only buy things from 4WP, 4WD Hardware, and Q Tech if there is a big sale or I need somthing shipped right away. Q Tech is expensive (Especially the shipping charge) but I have had good experiances with them.

Jeff, why diddnt you dispute thru your credit card? That usually makes vendors rectify the situation. Bolth times I have disputed thru Visa, the vendor fixed it right after the CC company contacted them.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post

Jeff, why diddnt you dispute thru your credit card? That usually makes vendors rectify the situation. Bolth times I have disputed thru Visa, the vendor fixed it right after the CC company contacted them.
    Because I was an idiot and put it on my debit card

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe they're the same company as 4wd.com I used to deal with them alot about 2 years ago, dropped about 3 G's in the TJ from them and lucked out with getting all my stuff. Last time I called, and asked about the military discount (cause they hooked it up the previous time),..the guy got all snotty with me, and said he wouldn't do a military discount, because I couldn't prove it to them??? I guess the GOV email and copy of ID, or even a proff of service record (which is good for the VA) wouldn't work. Because of the poor attitude that asshole had, i quit with them.

nother buddy ordered his lift for his YJ from them,..what a mess. Missing parts the first order,.then the wrong ones,..3 times!!! thats dumb. So, yeah. Done with that company.

who does everyone recommend for AEV stuff? I posted in the vendor forum, but i think most of those guys are Fab shops and in-shop built stuff. No worries.

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think four wheel parts - http://www.4wheelparts.com/Default.a...aign=text_link

is different from 4wd.com - http://www.4wd.com/

I've bought from 4wd on countless occasions and they've been fantastic, even taking back a speedo that I bought 2 years prior and never installed. I've never bought from 4 wheel parts, and from the stories above, I don't think I ever will.
    I'll stick with Quadratec and 4wd.com
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1989

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live about 3 hour drive from 4 Wheel Drive hardware, and have been to their store several times. The staff and service has always been great to me. The last time there I was informed that they are in fact a sister store to 4 Wheel Parts. Sorry to hear about the trouble some have had , but I'll continue to do buisness with 4WD.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast