2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Ethan Allen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What do you think?

I'm trying to figure out what to do for my TJ once my taxes come back. I'm be putting up 1,000 to 1,300 dollars into the jeep. Here's what I'm thinking about:

1.) regearing from 3.73 to 4.56 ( I only have 32x11.5x15 on it now)

2.) 33x 12.5x 15 and new rims (offroading and daily driver)

3.) tummy tuck work ( already have 4" lift, 1.25" , SYE, and a stupid transfer drop installed by old owner)

What would you do? I offroad alittle, due to time and it's my d/d.....Any other suggestions would be great!
    Join the Service or move to some other country!!! Thanks to all that are servicing or have served in the Armed Forces.

. [__]
    . (OIIIIO)
    . ())---o-())

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Year, Engine, Tranny??? You can get a more informed suggestion with that info... If in fact you have a SYE I would get rid of the transfer case skid drop you dont need it and that is free!!!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would re-gear then do the tummy tuck. Unless your tires are down to the end of their life, then do the tires.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1- regearing will make your daily driving suck if you go 4.56's with 32's at least on the highway. 4.10's should be plenty good and take you up to 35's w/out noticing too much difference off road. I have no problem roasting 33's w/ 4.10's if I stomp it.

2-I've seen your tires a while back and doubt you burned off all the tread. Going only one inch bigger is not worth the money until your tires are bald.

3. Not a bad idea, but when you're ready to go to bigger tires that will get you up a few more inches. Unless you're into rock crawling your DD I wouldn't worry about this one too much.

If I remember correctly, you don't have a full cage do you?. I think your money would be better spent on that first (if you don't)since you have a lift and have started wheeling. A full cage will save your A$$ and make survivability of anyone in the Jeep a whole lot better ON or Offroad. My dad rolled his CJ7 on an on ramp. First rain after a hot summer and the tail end got away from him. By the time he got it straight the tires grabbed the gravel an over he went 3x. Seat bracket snapped and the seat belt held him in and the cage saved his life. Wind shield was crushed down to the cage. he walked away with bruised elbows. If you've got a full-cage disregard the bottom half of my post.
    Last edited by CutterN55; 01-21-2010 at 20:48.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metalcloak overline fenders
    jeepforum.com , 4x4trailhunters.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Ethan Allen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 TJ, 4.0L, NP231 with SYE. I thought about buying the rear adjustable control arms, just to flatten out the belly. Full rollcage...haven't thought about that.
    Join the Service or move to some other country!!! Thanks to all that are servicing or have served in the Armed Forces.

. [__]
    . (OIIIIO)
    . ())---o-())

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you need a full rollcage if Jeeps come with rollbars? Also with a full rollcage work with the freedom top on the 4 door JK?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Why do you need a full rollcage if Jeeps come with rollbars? Also with a full rollcage work with the freedom top on the 4 door JK?
    Have you seen what happens to a jeeps rollcage when it rolls over at low speed?

It pretty much just collapses on itself.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...tall+roll+cage
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You live in Vermont? running 32" or 33" tires with 4.56 gears in the axles will allow you to run I-89 and I-91 like a sports car another reason to get a roll cage! but your mileage will drop on the highway since you will be overgeared for your tire size. You won't notice much of a differance around town if you have the 6-speed manual and use your gears right. However having 4:56 gears you will be all set should you decide to go to 35" tires when your 32's wear out. Do you have lockers? While you are doing the gears doing lockers at the same time would save you time and money if you are paying some one to do them. 4" lift with a SYE, I agree you don't need the 1" TC drop. What about a winch and or other recovery/safety equipment? As for rear control arms, do you have them up front? Not a suspension expert, but I would think you would get more flex and better handling by doing the front first. I would look at Teraflex or another company that will sell you individual pieces and parts if you are thinking of doing your suspnesion one section at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast