Served
    Served
    1988 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default JK mirror relocation

just picked up some soft doors for the JK and am looking for a solution to the side mirror issue.

I understand that the passenger side mirror is virtual unusable once relocated and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
    INFIDEL
    (كافر)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat" - T. Roosevelt, 1899

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the same way on the TJ.
    I used a relocation bracket on the driver's side and left the passenger side attached to the door. You only need one external mirror to be legal, and I like being able to see out of the passenger side when I have the regular doors on.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1967 to 1971

Closest Installation

NWS Earle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about your state, but in NJ you need both outside mirrors to be legal. I leave my mirrors on my doors and use the Mopar mirror and external mount for the drivers side. On the passenger side I use the Lange Quick Release II removable mirror. The Mopar Mirror is very good. I don't care for the lange mirror because it is hard to adjust and it can be noisy. I can see with it and I am legal so it isn't a total loss.
    Last edited by hely74; 01-24-2010 at 02:06.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hely74 View Post
    I don't know about your state, but in NJ you need both outside mirrors to be legal. I leave my mirrors on my doors and use the Mopar mirror and external mount for the drivers side. On the passenger side I use the Lange Quick Release II removable mirror. The Mopar Mirror is very good. I don't care for the lange mirror because it is hard to adjust and it can be noisy. I can see with it and I am legal so it isn't a total loss.
    Did they change the laws? Only need 2 rear facing mirors, one inside and one on the drivers side:

39:3-71. Mirrors
    Every motor vehicle shall have rear view mirrors so located and angled as to give the driver adequate rear view vision. Every passenger automobile manufactured after January 1, 1965 and registered in this State, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side. On and after January 1, 1965, every commercial motor vehicle registered in this State, other than a trailer or semitrailer, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side, except that every such vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct or obscure a rear view from an interior mirror shall, in lieu of an interior mirror, be equipped with an exterior mirror on the side of the vehicle opposite the driver's side. The director may by regulation establish other mirror requirements for special or unusual types of vehicles. Any person operating a motor vehicle without the equipment prescribed by this section shall, on conviction, be fined as provided in Revised Statutes 39:3-79.

Amended by L.1964, c. 119, s. 1.

Also, this link has the mirror laws for every state listed in it:
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...r-laws-565361/

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1967 to 1971

Closest Installation

NWS Earle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it didn't change. Just repeated what I was told: you will get pulled over if you don't have both mirrors on. I guess I need to go to law school. Thanks for the link.

King of the Walnut people Infidel's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1988 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer to have both mirrors on, is there a way to modify the relocation kit to extend the passenger mirror?
    INFIDEL
    (كافر)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat" - T. Roosevelt, 1899

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1967 to 1971

Closest Installation

NWS Earle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about the relocation kit. The driver side mirror I have is the MOPAR Item #82210557. It is only for the drivers side. It can stay on with or without your door on and will not interfere with the mirror that you might have on the door.

I have mine off now, but here is a picture I found on the Just For Jeeps site. I have no idea why a mated mirror and bracket is not available for the passenger side.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have these, so I'm only guessing that they are good. They look like they would work good, and are on my list of mod. After I get new sliders.

These will let you mount then on your tube doors.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11146_8411_07.htm

These let you mount them without tube doors.

http://www.dietechoffroad.com/produc...rorbracket.htm