1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default optima batteries

i got a Q.. i wanna run a dual batterie system and have 2 yellow top optima batteries, got an 06 TJ any good ideas on the best way to mount em so they fit properly without alot of modification? pics if you got em would be great
    " if you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English, thank a Soldier"

I READ TODD DID

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    03 Rubicon, 6.0L Chevy, 700R4, 241, ORI struts, custom F&R dual traiangulated longarms, 39.5 Irok, frame backhalf, 35 Spline Ford 60's, Full Hydro steering, 110"wb
    05 TJ (salvage), 6.0L aluminum head Chevy with LS1 parts (@400hp) , 4L60E, home made longarm on 14" SAW coilovers, 35 spline Dana 60's, 100"wb

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM JeepinSoldier.....he has his stacked, with AC and a snorkel in a late model Rubi.

My pics will do no good as I do not have AC and was able to route them a different way. JeepinSoldier will be able to provide you step by step instructions and pics.

Hope it helps.....
    Last edited by Fifthpro; 01-26-2010 at 14:07.

Austere Mobility in a '99 TJ Sport with a few bells and whistles

The bravest of all Spartans was Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that “the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fire their volleys, the mass of arrows will block out the sun.”

Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, “Good. Then we’ll fight in the shade!”

Non Vi Sed Arte

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking at stacking them too this summer w/a aftermarket deep 2x battery tray for the purpose...
    "What is life without honor? Degradation is worse than death!"
    -Thomas J."Stonewall" Jackson

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

NAS Point Mugu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a few companies out there that make the kits look and quadratec.com or 4wd.com. They should have what you need.
    Don't be affraid to ask dumb question's they are easier to handle than a stupid Mistake...........

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fifthpro View Post
    PM JeepinSoldier.....he has his stacked, with AC and a snorkel in a late model Rubi.

My pics will do no good as I do not have AC and was able to route them a different way. JeepinSoldier will be able to provide you step by step instructions and pics.

Hope it helps.....
    I am running two Optima Yellow Tops in a Mean Green stacked dual battery tray. The batteries are controlled by a Wrangler NW Power Products in cab battery manager that controls an isolation solenoid. This is working in tandem with a Mean Green high output alternator.

The system is in place with no modification to the factory A/C, and the ducting for an ARB snorkle runs right underneath the tray. I think Mean Green has discontinued the tray, but it appears they have licenced the design to Smittybuilt. Normally I would not buy anything from Smittybuilt - but this appears to be the exact same tray at a cheaper price.

Stacked is the only way you are going to run dual batteries without modifying the factory A/C lines. Kilby makes a good side by side tray, but you have to purchase a modified line from them and have it installed by an A/C shop. The side by side tray makes for easier solenoid mounting and wiring, but stacked takes up less room and is not really that difficult once you get started.

As for the battery manager, after alot of study, there are only a few options that I would consider. The Wrangler NW, 12 volt guy, and Painless Performance. My switch is located in one of the power ports in the center dash and the solenoid is bolted to the side of the tray. People have asked me if it was a factory option, and I think it looks pretty darn good actually. I spent allot of time thinking about where to put the switch. Ill post some links now and pix tomorrow. Just got back from State of the union lockdown and its 0130 so more detailed post with pix tomorrow.
    Last edited by JeepinSoldier; 01-28-2010 at 01:58.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smittybuilt Tray:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17004_1000.htm

Kilby Tray with modified A/C line details:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/kilby_dual_battery_TJ/index.asp

Wrangler NW Power Products battery manager. Ignore the tray and just look at the switch, solenoid, and wiring. To just get this, call and special order. The tray is for Odyssey batteries so I would not mess with it. Odyssey batteries have been known to have problems with the internal wiring between the cells and posts breaking under offroad use. The manager is great though:

http://www.wranglernw.com/pc-6366-790-dual-battery-tray-kit-for-jeep-tj-rubicon-unlimited-40l-25l-wair-conditioning-1997-2006.aspx

12 Volt guy:

http://12voltguy.com/web/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=10&Itemid=43

Painless:

http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...rchField=40103

All the managers listed work the same way:

on/off/on
    norm or dual on mode is switched with ignition
    both battery's connected with motor on, both charge
    emer is used if you drain main battery by leaving something on
    while motor is off when battery's are isolated, lights, radio etc, flip switch to emer to self jumpstart
    off is just a manual control to isolate them when motor running if wanted
    Last edited by JeepinSoldier; 01-28-2010 at 02:02.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fifthpro View Post

Hope it helps.....
    See...I told you JeepinSoldier would point you down the right path....those damn paratroopers know how to do everything!!

Austere Mobility in a '99 TJ Sport with a few bells and whistles

The bravest of all Spartans was Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that “the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fire their volleys, the mass of arrows will block out the sun.”

Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, “Good. Then we’ll fight in the shade!”

Non Vi Sed Arte

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Fifthpro!

Here is the switch for the battery manager mounted inside:

Solenoid mounted to bottom tray:

Ill post some pix of the complete install under the hood if I can take some tomorrow. Weather may be bad here.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am running 2 yellow tops stacked in a Mean Green tray as well, but am using the Painless Wiring setup for mine. It fits with some mild massaging with A/C, a snorkel and tube fenders.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B