Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default unibody engine skid

I'm going to start fabritacting skid plates for my zj when I get my tax back. I have figured out how I will do my gas tank and T-case skids. I am haveing trouble figuring out how to mount an engine skid. The after market skids I have seen mount to the control arm brakets. I don't like that idea because I will eventually do a long arm and will delete those brakets. I also think the bend it would need to clear the drive shaft would weaken the skid. The only thing I can think of would be doing an engine lift and incorperating the skid into the motor mounts. I think I am really limited on this because of the drive shaft and cannot think of another way of doing this. Anyone have any pointers, suggestions or helpful comments?

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have been toying with the very same issue. i had resolved myself to using the upper control arm mounts and a whatcha callit kinda thing off the motor mounts. one thing i had decided for sure was to build a two piece to clear the drive shaft and put a hoop over it to arrest it should anything funky happen at high speed.
    -Jeb

99 GC Ltd. V8. plenty of goodies, 6in lift 33s, rear locker, 12v cooler, steel bumpers fr+rr, Roof Top Tent,
    01 TJ 4.0 auto.. stock street queen for now.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is definitely a good idea. I knew a guy in high school who frag a u-joint in the parking lot and his drive shaft did a number on his truck. When he went under to look at the damage, he grabed the exhaust and turned his palm into cheese pizza. Needless to say, he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Thanks for reminding me of some funny shit.