User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Backfire WTF!

  1. #1
    I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv.
    Posts
    10,672

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

    Closest Installation

    Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Backfire WTF!

    I was heading to work this morning and was just about there when the CJ felt like it was bogging down and out of no where there was a backfire thru the exhaust and of course it dies. I managed to pull over and get it restarted. I went about a quarter mile and it died again, I restarted it again and it ran fine for the last couple of miles or so. Yesterday morning I felt the bogging but it never backfired or died. On the way home yesterday it ran beautiful, which should have been my first indication that something was wrong so I'm think it may some how be temp. related. All of the gauges were normal. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

    http://www.sincityrubs.com/

  2. #2
    Senior Member HillBillE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    13,923

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

    Closest Installation

    Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    2 I can think of.

    First: Electrical, sounds like the power to the coil is cutting out. If the ignition cuts out, then gas flows in, ign comes back (spark) hits all the raw gas= BOOM! Backfire.

    That would explain the bogging -loss of spark, the backfire is just a result of the gas flowing in and not being burned, becuase of no spark.


    Second: Timing chain slack-if the timing chain is worn, it will run funny, and possibly back fire.


    Sounds more like the first one to me, a temporary loss of spark. I'd check the connections at the coil, the coil wire, and the distributor hook up.


    As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.


    "Certified Jeep Junky!"


  3. #3
    Free at last... ColoFreeJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    5,719

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

    Closest Installation

    Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    Second: Timing chain slack-if the timing chain is worn, it will run funny, and possibly back fire.
    So that was the Taliban Special Forces guy's problem in the other thread.

    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...ad.php?t=14585

  4. #4
    I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv.
    Posts
    10,672

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

    Closest Installation

    Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    2 I can think of.

    First: Electrical, sounds like the power to the coil is cutting out. If the ignition cuts out, then gas flows in, ign comes back (spark) hits all the raw gas= BOOM! Backfire.

    That would explain the bogging -loss of spark, the backfire is just a result of the gas flowing in and not being burned, becuase of no spark.


    Second: Timing chain slack-if the timing chain is worn, it will run funny, and possibly back fire.


    Sounds more like the first one to me, a temporary loss of spark. I'd check the connections at the coil, the coil wire, and the distributor hook up.
    Electrical is the same thing I got from two of my mechanics here at work. They were both leaning toward the ign. module.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

    http://www.sincityrubs.com/

  5. #5
    Snow Jeeper treefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Benton
    Posts
    177

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

    Closest Installation

    Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ignition switch going bad can also cause this. Just something else to check.
    treefrog

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the MJ Supporter Membership for a little less than $0.06 a day and get more space, 2 MJ Stickers and no banners ads. [Check it out]