1995 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jeep Commander Work

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander with the 3.7 V6 4x4. We are getting ready to drive from California to Virginia towing my Wrangler. I am looking to put an oil cooler, transmission cooler, cold air intake, and a tow hitch on it. On a prior thread I posted I was told to stay away from 4 wheel parts, so where in 29 Palms or Palm Springs area should I go to have this work done? I would like to have a shop do this because of the plumbing that is to be done to the transmission in order to install the trans cooler. Can anyone suggest a good place to have the work the done? Thank you ahead of time for the help.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good luck with the 3.7.

i think the V6 was only rated to 3500 lbs or so for towing when we looked at one. i would plan on going slow, stopping alot, putting a trans temp gauge in it, and damn near replacing the trans when you get to VA.

just went and looked up the specs, plan on sucking the gas down too with the power curve that motor has.

GrapeApe

I recently tow dollied an Xj with my KJ with the 3.7L. I went from Alabama to St louis. Empty going down i got 20 mpg coming back with Xj in tow i got 14 mpg. I would think that the Xj easily out weights the Tj. Just take it easy and plan ahead on braking.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
    I recently tow dollied an Xj with my KJ with the 3.7L. I went from Alabama to St louis. Empty going down i got 20 mpg coming back with Xj in tow i got 14 mpg. I would think that the Xj easily out weights the Tj. Just take it easy and plan ahead on braking.
    my YJ was heavier than my 97 xj.

Silver 08 Rubi

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input, but can anyone recommand a shop to have the work done in the twentynine palms or palm springs areas?

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GS2667 View Post
    Thanks for the input, but can anyone recommand a shop to have the work done in the twentynine palms or palm springs areas?
    if you go abit further south RVMD in inland empire does top notch work. LJ engineering in yucaipa is a great shop as well.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should already have a trans cooler. you can get a universal bigger one at any part store, i had to replace my cooler when i did my radiator. the auto shop out there should be able to help you with it no problem. any idea what trans is in it? if its the 545rfe, or the 68rh you'll be fine... they are bullet proofs trans.

when ya get to va look me up
    -Jeb

99 GC Ltd. V8. plenty of goodies, 6in lift 33s, rear locker, 12v cooler, steel bumpers fr+rr, Roof Top Tent,
    01 TJ 4.0 auto.. stock street queen for now.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring it to my casa...I can help you out.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The 3.7L is a good engine in the KJ, but a Commander is a lot heavier vehicle. My wife's KJ was rated to tow 5,000lbs, her Commander with the 4.7L V-8 at 6,500 lbs. So if you are flat towing the Jeep and it is empty you should be okay, but just be careful crossing the Continental Divide. Also, running the tires on the Jeep in tow a little hard will help reduce their rolling resistance and don't forget the tires in the Commander will need to be at the rated pressure for towing as well. Common thing that get's over looked. My buddy in Yukaipa has used LJ before, good shop.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to detract from the reason you posted this, but WOW... A 3.7?? My JK has a 3.8 and I contemplate suicide every time I drive it up hill, against the wind, with another passenger...

Good luck man...
    -Mike

"I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and I believe that our education like such as South Africa, and the Iraq, everywhere like, such as, and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for our children."
    -Miss South Carolina