Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another Newbie and Lift question

Well its tax rebate time, and time to finally lift my 05' TJ, I know ill probably get "flamed" for asking the same question that 100 other people have but i'm completely stock as of right now. I picked out 32x11.50R15's BFG M/T KM2's or Pro Comp M/T's which is better? I've picked out Mickey Thompson Signature series Rim's "satin black" but I have to decide on a Lift... I'm Thinking a 3" I'm Stuck between a Black Diamond or an RCD with Bilstein shocks, or a 2.5" by rough country, which will need a few extra's. I was also Looking at Rubicon Express seeing that many people on here have them is that one worth the extra $$?? How can I justify that to the wifeI might be a newbie at this but 2 guys I work with our helping and there both VERY noligable, Thanks guys for all your help
    Last edited by stud_man50; 02-15-2010 at 16:55.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a big fan of either of those tires. I've heard a lot of great things about the new mtr kevlars... those are going to be my next tire. That being said, everyone has their own opinion on tires. There's even a few people out there that will defend thornbirds to their grave.

As far as lifts go... 2.5-3" will be plenty for 32" tires. A few things I'd look for: does the lift come with adjustable control arms and does it come with an adjustable front track bar? You'll also want to make sure you get a rear track bar bracket with it. While not necessary with a 2.5-3" lift, these things will make your life easier in being able to dial in your pinion angles.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was lookin at the MTR's with kevlar, I guess they are a big improvement over the old ones,both kits come with the rear track bar bracket, but both of them did not include control arms, or the adjustable front track bar, how important are those for only a 3" lift? I was also thinking a rough country lift, but Its no where near complete, and I think it would need a list of things to add to it. also I've heard you can do a Motor mount lift, instead of a transfer case drop?
    Last edited by stud_man50; 02-15-2010 at 17:18.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're going to want adjustable control arms at the very least for the rear.
    you will want an adjustable track bar for the front.

35's or go home

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1988 to 1991

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought my 05 X from the stealership with 33x12.50x15's on a 2" BB and that was all, and they cleared just fine. Had factory CA's all the way around and no SYE, did have a very minor vibration but it was barely noticeable.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anybody know reviews on the rcd lift kits? then later can I add the adjustables without gettting another front end alignment?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MATEAS View Post
    Bought my 05 X from the stealership with 33x12.50x15's on a 2" BB and that was all, and they cleared just fine. Had factory CA's all the way around and no SYE, did have a very minor vibration but it was barely noticeable.
    I am going to second this!!! I ran a set of 32x12.50x15 tires on my 01 TJ with a 2"BB lift and stock wheels for three years with no issues. When I upgraded to a 4" lift and 33's back in 2005, I donated my old tires and lift to a friend with an '03 and he is STILL running them!!!

If you are buying that size tire, get the BB lift, keep your stock wheels, and save the money you would put into wheels and a lift to buy a winch or something... I also agree that the new goodyear wrangler MTR with the kevlar sidewalls might be a great choice for you, and I have five of them ordered for my rig now.

Good luck with your project!!! Let us know what you decide, and post up pics when you are done!!!

EDIT: If you go with a 2 or 3 inch lift, be careful disconnecting your swaybar without putting some longer brake lines on there!!!
    Last edited by txapacheguy; 02-16-2010 at 00:28.

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In regards to brake line extensions, get a set for a YJ.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You shouldn't need brake line extensions unless you've got more than 4" of lift.
    You can always move the line mount down on the frame another inch, or like tj 4 the boxers said... yj lines are a couple inches longer than tj lines and are a direct replacement.

Back to 1 Jeep... for now rroadkilll's Avatar

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

AIRSTA Elizabeth City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stud_man50 View Post
    also I've heard you can do a Motor mount lift, instead of a transfer case drop?
    Not without a Body Lift.. If you go that direction I would do a BB boost!

Quote Originally Posted by MATEAS View Post
    I'm Running the 2" BB and have scored above 950+ on an RTI ramp with 31's

Quote Originally Posted by txapacheguy View Post
    EDIT: If you go with a 2 or 3 inch lift, be careful disconnecting your swaybar without putting some longer brake lines on there!!!
    Disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by TJ 4 the Boxers View Post
    In regards to brake line extensions, get a set for a YJ.
    Adds about 4" This is my NEXT thing to do after I get it running correctly!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast