Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default shock advice

lookin to replace my rear shocks on my TJ with 4 inchs of lift..anyone know where i can find a site that will let me order skyjacker hydros made for 4inchs of lift? i cant find a certain part number anywhere

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...06%2C16016+107

You can go here:
    http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jeep_shocks/
    Enter your info, and get a list of the shocks they sell.

If you don't want to order from quadratec, you can still get the manufacturers part number off of the site and search around for better pricing.

Wheelin requires wrenchin Doppler's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniperx9119,

If I can borrow your thread what has everyone experienced when comparing Hydro shocks with Nitro's? Need to upgrade shocks myself and am looking for any input. I've never run a nitrogen charged shock before.

Uncle Sam's grease monkey

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont buy nitro unless your gonna be running races in them. i bought a set and they are one stiff ride
    "A soldier who can't fight is like a dog with no teeth"

89 YJ with 2.5l motor and a 5 speed
    SOA, SYE, 33" by 12.5" on fake beadlocks, Tom Woods driveshaft, Rugged Ridge HD steering linkage, Warn steering box skidplate, Daystar Rock crusher rear bumper, Daystar Polyurethane bushing kit, Tomken steering box support, Hi-Lift jack, Currie F+R greaseable shackles, Auto-Meter guages, Smittybilt F/bumper, Smittybilt 8k winch, Viair onboard air, free stuff from uncle sam

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay away from Sky Jacker shocks......I switched from Sky Jacker Hydro due to life cycle requirements and went with the more expensive Nitro, hopefully to enable a longer life cycle (Very heavy Jeep due to armor, etc with some serious usage about once a month). I had 3 of the 4 new shocks fail in less than 4 months. IMO, there was a quality control issue and Bling 'Tech quickly and without question replace the failed shocks. (Another hint there was an issue).

Now, I am looking at upgrading to King's to the tune of $1700 for all 4. (custom length to fit my 6" LA lift, etc.)

Just my thoughts, others opinion may and will differ.
    Last edited by Fifthpro; 02-19-2010 at 13:20.

Austere Mobility in a '99 TJ Sport with a few bells and whistles

The bravest of all Spartans was Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that “the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fire their volleys, the mass of arrows will block out the sun.”

Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, “Good. Then we’ll fight in the shade!”

Non Vi Sed Arte

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Sniperx9119,

If I can borrow your thread what has everyone experienced when comparing Hydro shocks with Nitro's? Need to upgrade shocks myself and am looking for any input. I've never run a nitrogen charged shock before.
    I had Skyjacker hydros on mine and I liked the ride quality, but had one fail on me. I upgraded to Teraflex gas (nitro) shocks and I have to say I like that ride quality better.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be fair to Sky Jacker....my Jeep is somewhat highly modified and has a ton of armor and other addition weight (winch, roll cage, roof rack, full compliment of tools and recovery equipment, dual battery, OBA, etc) that far exceed the base model. My driving style is as slow and possible but as fast as necessary, yet on these two runs I pushed the limits of the vehicle capabilities and the components beyond there original designed apparently. With that being said, The three years prior I had pushed the other old shocks equally as hard at times and they did not fail within 6 months. I do think it was a quality control issue and hope it is fixed at this time as all manufacture face these issues form time to time.
    Based on the performance level I demand, I simply had to ensure that I would not suffer for shock failure again as fast as I did.
    If you are going to play, you are going to pay. In this case to the tune of $1700 to get what I want.
    Last edited by Fifthpro; 02-20-2010 at 07:08.

Austere Mobility in a '99 TJ Sport with a few bells and whistles

The bravest of all Spartans was Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that “the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fire their volleys, the mass of arrows will block out the sun.”

Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, “Good. Then we’ll fight in the shade!”

Non Vi Sed Arte

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont waste your money on skyjacker crap, get some bilstien 5100's or even some 2" FOA's. alot better quality, warranty, and ride.