Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stearing dead spots?

I just put on some Mickey Thompson 33X12.5R15 and am getting a little bit of vibration in the steering wheel around 35 to 45 mph which I think is from the poor balance job done on the new tires. But what is really weirding me out is that I now have dead spots in my steering. I will be cruising along and can move my steering wheel a good inch left or right and it feels as if there is no tension on the steering and the jeep will not move in any of those directions until I travel though that deed spot in the steering. I still have the stock steering dampener and if it is anything like the stock shocks I replaced then it is probably dead. I was also thinking about the steering pump, bigger tires means its having to work harder and may need to be upgraded to a more powerful and responsive pump. Is there anything I could look at tightening in the steering linkages? Any recommendations of things to look at or if this is just the way of the beast with going to this size of tire, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    If you don't get stuck, or brake anything, your not having fun!!! Keep it rubber side down

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type of suspension?

If you have coils/links, check the track bar. A bad busshing or loose bolt/bracket will cuase a dead spot.

For either coils or leaf springs:
    Check the toe in ( I set mine at 1/8")
    Check the TRE's (tie rod ends)
    Check the ball joints
    Check the steering gearbox mount.

Easiest way to check this is with help, have some one turn the wheel back and forth, while looking at each connection.

FWIW: a steering stabilizer is good, but won't fix any problems, a new one will just hide/mask the problem.

New/bigger tires will often magnify any existing problems, so it may have been there, but wasn't noticable.

Have you put in a lift, or replaced anything lately? If so, go back and put a wrench on all the bolts, make sure they are tight.

Sometimes they 'settle in' and get loose.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What size tires were you running before these?

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was running 31X10.5s and have put a Rubbicon Express 2" budget lift with spring spacers and upgraded monotube shocks.
    If you don't get stuck, or brake anything, your not having fun!!! Keep it rubber side down

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st, I'd suggest getting an alignment and good balance done.
    You can have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you're looking at movement in all the joints. If you don't find anything wrong I think the feeling you have might just be from running much larger tires on the stock steering. Add an upgraded steering to your wanted list.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you lift a anything with an inverted-Y steering setup (TJ, LJ and XJs), you HAVE to realign the front end. The lift will cause the steering to toe in. The more you lift it, the more it will toe in. If you set the toe yourself, set it between 0 and 1/8" toe in. I run mine at 1/16" toe in.
    Follow the advice given above on checking everything and do a front end alignment.
    treefrog