1998 to 2002

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 42RE Tranny Help

I have a 97 ZJ with a 42RE. I adjusted the front and rear bands and installed the governor pressure sensor and seleniod. Before I done all this it was slipping at around 20-30 mph in drive. Now the problem is that it is shuttering when I take off. If I am easy on the gas it will shuuter real bad, if i hit the gas hard to take off it seems ok. I am not sure what is going on for sure. i beleive that my front band is out of adjustment but not sure in which way. Is it too loose or is it to tight.

Please guys. I am at the breaking point with putting money in this jeep. If anyone know how i can fix this without buying a tranny or rebuilding this one please chime in.

I adjusted the bands according to the manual which is torque to 72 inch pounds and back out 3 5/8 turns. I have tried to back out 3 turns with problem but not much luck.

Thanks in advance for all help given

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might see if there is anyone nearby that can diagnose a bad torque converter. This sounds like it might be the case. Either that, or double check the TV cable for being out a bit. If you need a manual that might come from a service factory, PM me and I will help you out.

-Doc