1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Crap. Stupid headlight socket

The last couple of days my high beam indicator has been flickering on and off. I figured the headlight switch may be giving up the ghost and was going to pick one up to have laying around. Then today I pull up behind a minivan in a parking lot (had the headllights on because it was snowing...again). Driver's side check. Passenger side=no light. hmmm. Must have blown a bulb. Flick to highbeams, still no light on the passenger side. Get out and look. It IS on, but it looks like a candle burning. Pop the hood and wiggle the socket. No change. Pull the socket off of the headlight and HOLY CRAP! The socket looks like a burnt marshmellow on one side. Guess that explains the intermittent highbeam indicator flickering on and off. Autozone says they have replacement high-temp sockets in stock. I guess I will pick up one or two tomorrow night and solder em on Saturday.
    I did change over to IPF Fatboys about 4 years ago and stayed with the factory wiring. Maybe had something to do with it, maybe not. Who knows? Going to go ahead and put a relay harness on the headlights anyway. I think it's my Jeep's way of saying, "Pay some attention to me."
    Just needed to vent a little. Later.
    treefrog

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd definitely spend the little extra and add the relay harness. I noticed a much cleaner/brighter light after doing so. So far I've had it for about a year and no signs of failure yet.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ordered the IPF relay harness. I'll put it on next weekend or whenever I can get to it.
    treefrog

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    I just ordered the IPF relay harness. I'll put it on next weekend or whenever I can get to it.
    Good deal. I made a relay set up for my CJ, big difference in the headlights!

Before that I melted a socket too, with Cibie' brand H4 headlights. Since the relay upgrade, no problems, and no hot wires.

If the kit doesn't come with heavy groundwires, upgrade those also, or the relay setup won't do much good.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    Good deal. I made a relay set up for my CJ, big difference in the headlights!

Before that I melted a socket too, with Cibie' brand H4 headlights. Since the relay upgrade, no problems, and no hot wires.

If the kit doesn't come with heavy groundwires, upgrade those also, or the relay setup won't do much good.
    I made my own relay set when I put in my Deltas. I refused to pay for a relay harness when I could get the relays, plugs and heat shrink terminals from work for free Definitely run 12 ga for your grounds, makes a nice difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/