2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Finally!!!

ok so it was real PITA but with the help of a couple of awesome buddies i got the engine out tonight. Jeepmudbogger came over and helped out a ton. btw Anthony, we didnt have to move the trans. the shaft on the Torque Converter didnt even extend past the bellhousing.

I'm in the tan flightsuit.

2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet. What're you putting in?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just puttin a reman 4.0 back in. dont have time or money to stroke it. one day, just not yet. haha
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed it, what happend to your original engine?
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the lifters locked up. with the head off, there was so much sludge in it i was surprised it lasted that long.
    *DECEASED* 1976 CJ-7, AMC 304/T150, 33" x 12.50 Dayton Timberline AT's, Stock AMC 20 rear and Dana 30 front both with 2.73's.

1994 YJ, 2.5L, 5 speed, 2" body lift, 31x10.50's, CJ front clip

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepmudbogger View Post
    the lifters locked up. with the head off, there was so much sludge in it i was surprised it lasted that long.
    Hmmmm. The 4.0 is not normally known for sludge (Like the Chrysler 4.7 V8) Previous owner not change the oil/filter? Any idea what brand was used?)
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post
    Hmmmm. The 4.0 is not normally known for sludge (Like the Chrysler 4.7 V8) Previous owner not change the oil/filter? Any idea what brand was used?)
    im figurin they changed it once or twice in the 101,000 miles they had it. probably quakerstate. that stuff's garbage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by afjeep View Post
    im figurin they changed it once or twice in the 101,000 miles they had it. probably quakerstate. that stuff's garbage.
    Poor way to treat a great machine like a Rubicon.....

Agreed on the Quaker State. Fram oil filters are also known to not be good for the 4.0. The anti drainback valve in them sucks, this then empties the filter back into the pan starving the lifters/rockers that mutch longer on startup. I use only Wix or Napa Gold filters. (Napa Gold is Wix)

As for oil, after trying to research all the diffrent types out there, I settled on the Rotella 15W-40. Its great in all the heavy duty applications and has the extra additives to protect the high mileage long haul diesels. I have a 05 Excursion 6.0 diesel and two Jeeps with the 4.0 six, so like the hot sauce comercial - 'Rotella 15-40, I put that $h!t in evreything.' The Jeeps seem happier - especially the 4.0 in the Comanche that has 185,000 miles. With the good filter and the Rotella oil the severe lifter tick on startup it had went away.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post
    Poor way to treat a great machine like a Rubicon.....

Agreed on the Quaker State. Fram oil filters are also known to not be good for the 4.0. The anti drainback valve in them sucks, this then empties the filter back into the pan starving the lifters/rockers that mutch longer on startup. I use only Wix or Napa Gold filters. (Napa Gold is Wix)

As for oil, after trying to research all the diffrent types out there, I settled on the Rotella 15W-40. Its great in all the heavy duty applications and has the extra additives to protect the high mileage long haul diesels. I have a 05 Excursion 6.0 diesel and two Jeeps with the 4.0 six, so like the hot sauce comercial - 'Rotella 15-40, I put that $h!t in evreything.' The Jeeps seem happier - especially the 4.0 in the Comanche that has 185,000 miles. With the good filter and the Rotella oil the severe lifter tick on startup it had went away.
    yeah i use mobile one full synthetic extended performance and mobile one filters. it's been good to me in the past. thought about going to amsoil but its so freakin expensive.