2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oba

ok so now that my jeep is a toy and im getting it back up and running, i was thinking of converting the ac compressor into an on board air compressor. anyone done this? pros,cons? aside from not having air conditioning anymore? how hard/expensive is it? i like the idea b/c it doesnt take up anymore space. than it has been.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to do this mod myself and I have been doing some research. The people that I have talked to all said they love it. They say you only get about 5-7 years out of the sandean compressor but that sounds awfully good to me. Most of the accessories are easy to find at Home Depot or Lowes but one of my buddies suggested getting a few things from Kilby, like the oiler . I think it you go with stuff from Home Depot or Lowes the cost is roughly around $100 give or take a few bucks. Kilby stuff is a little pricey but you pay for what you get. Even if you got most of the stuff from Kilby its still not that expensive. It is definitely cheaper than buying the complete kit from a Kilby or Viair. Personally I think I am going to go the route of Kilby for most of my accessories. If you google Jeep OBA there is a ton of info out there. Jeepforum has some really good posts with detailed write ups and pics. Hope some of this helped. Good luck.
    IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING FOR SOMETHING, THEN YOU ARE DYING FOR NOTHING!!!!!
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org
    NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH
    Consensus National Champions: '24, '29, '30, '43, '46, '47, '49, '66, '73, '77, '88
    Shared National Championships: '19, '20, '27, '38, '53, '64, '67, '70, '89, '93

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome, time to google. thanks for the advice.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so i have an internal oiler on my compressor. does that mean that my compressor oils itself seperately of the freon, or is it one that uses the freon to oil the compressor?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been runing mine for 2 years now. I love it, good pressure of idle and better if you use manual throttle. Like mentioned before, buy a good oiler. The rest of the components can be had cheap at harbor freight. And yes you compressor is lubed by a mix of oil in the freon.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where did you get your oil cooler? how often do you have to add oil to it?

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im all about building things myself, but i went the route of kilby, i talked to brad at a off road expo in san diego and got a hellacious on most of the kit. i sourced my own tank and plumbing. if you can find an old fire extinguisher they work great as tanks.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by afjeep View Post
    where did you get your oil cooler? how often do you have to add oil to it?
    I got it from ebay, I have add oil to the oiler 3 times in 2 years....

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Vandenberg AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody plan on doing a full write up on how they did theirs? I thought about doing it after my A/C took a dump. I never used it and thought about ripping it all out anyway. Everthing in my system is good but the clutch, I just bought a new non A/C serpentine belt for it. I figure I can get some extra cash for the entire A/C system on ebay or mod an air system?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this link http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/t...TOPIC_ID=53780
    This is what I was going to use as my reference when doing my conversion. I still am going to use some of the Kilby stuff but this guy did a pretty good write up.
    IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING FOR SOMETHING, THEN YOU ARE DYING FOR NOTHING!!!!!
    www.hrja.org
    www.oathkeepers.org
    www.ufwda.org
    NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH
    Consensus National Champions: '24, '29, '30, '43, '46, '47, '49, '66, '73, '77, '88
    Shared National Championships: '19, '20, '27, '38, '53, '64, '67, '70, '89, '93

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast