2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 60 Questions!

So I have 2 "NIB" Dana 60 Chevy Housings sitting in my garage. I am thinking of throwing one on the front of the ZJ after building it up. I am wondering if anyone has flipped one and gone the reverse cut gear route and what all issues you had. I know it won't be aywhere near bolt it and There will be plenty of fab involved, but I am just trying to get a general idea of what I am looking at before I jump.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flipped?do you mean going to high pinion as opposed to low pinion,or do you mean flipped as opposed front diff going from driver side as opposed to passenger side,or do you mean fliipped as meaning going SOA(spring over axle)?What you are looking for...more lift?
    Go Navy!!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I`m doing a spring over axle conversion on my old wagoneer....My waggy came with Dana 20xfer case and ran a passinger side differential housing(Dana 27 front diff).....i looked into everything you are looking at now almost 18 months ago.Dana 60 axles very cool!What issues are looking at to mount this axle?post pictures
    Go Navy!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you can't flip it, the only way to get it to be drivers side drop would be to cut the tubes and weld the inner c's back one as well as making a new long side tube. if you flip it, the pinion will be starved of oil and that's no bueno.

the better solution is to keep the housing the way it is and look for an NP 231 from a chevy and it will be passenger side front output and it already has the wide chain in it. or get a Dana 300

also, just curious, but what kind of housings are these? are they custom or OEM?
    Last edited by ckato4477; 03-10-2010 at 08:13.

faster mabricator

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you flip them to make the high pinion, because they weren't designed as high pinion, the ring gear is on the wrong side of the pinion and will therefore drive backwards (reverse is now forward, forward is reverse) great if you're running a mid/rear engine buggy, not so great when your rear axle is still driving normal. If you want high pinion, you need to buy high pinion.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC

Quote Originally Posted by ckato4477 View Post
    Well, you can't flip it, the only way to get it to be drivers side drop would be to cut the tubes and weld the inner c's back one as well as making a new long side tube. if you flip it, the pinion will be starved of oil and that's no bueno.

the better solution is to keep the housing the way it is and look for an NP 231 from a chevy and it will be passenger side front output and it already has the wide chain in it. or get a Dana 300

also, just curious, but what kind of housings are these? are they custom or OEM?
    Quote Originally Posted by russellmn View Post
    If you flip them to make the high pinion, because they weren't designed as high pinion, the ring gear is on the wrong side of the pinion and will therefore drive backwards (reverse is now forward, forward is reverse) great if you're running a mid/rear engine buggy, not so great when your rear axle is still driving normal. If you want high pinion, you need to buy high pinion.
    Concur with the above Doc. You can either go to a passenger side drop t-case or sell the 2 Chevy axles and get yourself a nice Kingpin Ford D60 with driver side drop to keep your current t-case config.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by russellmn View Post
    that's not really the problem, high pinion gears are reverse cut for that very reason.

the problem is that the ring gear slings oil to the pinion bearings through through oil galleys on the top side of the housing, if he were to flip it, those oil galleys would be on the bottom side and hardly any oil would get to the pinion unless he was driving in reverse all the time.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn! Thattsalotta knowledge! I think I am goiung to keep the Chev 60's for the CUCV and the 75 and just find a Ford 60 for the Jeep then. I figured reverse cut gears would work...completely forgot about the oil galleys. Thanks guys!

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me know if you have someone you know PCSing from DC to your AO Doc...I am getting ready to sell my Ford HP KP D60 as soon as I can get some pics of it up and have time to be home to actually sell the thing.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM me the specs if you would. I might know of an aircrew with a spare 46 flying this way to test...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast