2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ARB Solenoid Question

I think I got a bad solenoid with one of my ARBs. I got the front axle in late last night, and started on the compressor this morning after cleaning up the garage. (Would have gone faster but two of my friends showed up and never left...)

Once we got the compressor mocked up outside the jeep and hooked up the wires, everything looked fine. We did not test the second solenoid because we did not have the rear line run yet, but the first one was fine. Once we got the wires run inside, I went to test all the switches again. The second solenoid would not activate.

We tried everything, basically tracing the current back through the wiring harness and back to the solenoid to include applying 12V directly to the solenoid. The solenoid was getting electricity, but would not activate. I took it out and tinkered with it, but still nothing.

Do you guys have any wisdom to shed on this issue? I am going to see if the local shop I bought the ARB from will exchange the solenoid tomorrow, and call ARB to see if they will hook me up with one as well. (had great luck with them in the past with an electrical fitting for the Bull Bar on the front).

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was indeed a bad solenoid. I swapped it at Predator today, and hope to get it installed, and have the whole system up and running before bedtime this evening. If anyone is interested, there is a source of cheap replacement ARB type solenoids. Details are on this website. They tend to run about $17 apiece, slightly under half of the ARB equivalent.

http://george4wd.taskled.com/airlocker.html

Safe Wheeling!!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is good to know and I might just buy one to have as a spare at that price. I have mine installed but have not had a chance to wheel it yet.

Thanks for the info.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ARB or Electric

Keep us informed how well it works out as I am trying to decide which locker to go with. Leaning toward the ARB as I need air anyway. What kind of air lines did you run along the frame and down to the axles.
    2005 TJLJ

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep us informed how well it works out as I am trying to decide which locker to go with. Leaning toward the ARB as I need air anyway. What kind of air lines did you run along the frame and down to the axles.
    2005 TJLJ
    Will do... I ran the factory blue 5mm plastic air line that came with the lockers to the front ARB, and have not had time to run the rear yet. The line seems tough enough, even though it is certainly one of the weaker points of the system. I will probably put some heat shrink over the biggest part of the air lines in the next week or two just for extra cheap insurance against heat, abrasion, and other unforeseen hazards.

Regarding the link I posted above about the cheap replacement solenoids, I have not bought or seen these first hand yet, but I feel it is necessary to point out the difference in thread size between them and their ARB counterpart. The ARB solenoid, and most of its other components use 1/8" BPT which means "British Pipe Thread" or something similar. The MAC solenoid uses 1/8" NPT, or "New Pipe Thread". I guess we couldn't follow the Brits' standard of measure when it came to laying pipe... One of these sizes of thread is slightly smaller than the other, and I really do not know which. USE CAUTION!!!

I have not read anything alarming about the difference. Most guys say that they just use some teflon tape or pipe dope and screw them right in. I think one other guy found some 1/8"NPT Male X 1/8"BPT Male couplers somewhere, but I have not been so lucky yet. I will probably install the ARB pipe coupler and quick release hose fitting (which shouldn't cost too much or be TOO hard to get) into the MAC solenoid and then screw that into the compressor if I ever have to put one into my system. I really do not want see anyone screw up their compressor trying to save a few bucks on a solenoid, but it seems like there is little to worry about.