Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation XJ not turning over, Help!

Hello everyone,
    Seems to be somewhat of a common problem with the XJ's. A few days ago, I went to go start my Jeep and got nothing. When to start it and zero responce from the starter. Lets rewind a little bit...

For a few months now, I have had some issues with starting. When it was cold, I would get nothing when I went to turn it over. I would leave the key on "On" for a while, and keep trying until it struggled to turn over, then it would fire up. After it was warm, it would turn over fine unless it sat overnight or something. Only problem after that is I could cank it over 30 times and it would not start, stop, then on the second try it would start up right away. Now, lets go to most recent issue....

Went to go visit my parents and when I went to leave, cranked it the first time, stopped, then went to crank again and nothing. I figured it wasthe starter so left it there and then got a lift home.

Came back next day and replaced the starter, thinking that is what it was since it has 202k miles and had OEM starter on it. No luck. When you turn the key, you can hear a click from behind the dash. TPS was replaced about 4 months ago.

I read threw some posts I found in the search on this and seems that NSS is the first thing to try, as well as making sure the grounds for the battery are good. I tried wiggling the shifter in N and P while staerting to get that to work. No luck. My mechanic got me one for $14.... sounds a little low to me but we will see. I have a "99 but I got this from someone, and via some other forums I have been told he used a '93 T-case, Tranny, and axles to make it 4x4 from a 2x4. Would I need a NSS from a '93, or are they all the same?

Any other ideas out there? Tonight when I get a ride I will be replacing the NSS then if that does not work, I am stumped. TSP bad again? Relay bad? A fuse I managed to miss?

Thank you everyone.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my old XJ, the starter wires at the starter worked loose every couple of weeks. Made cold or really hot weather starts painful at best.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NSS is a good place to start. A faulty ignition switch can also cause this. Not the cylinder and key, the actual ignition switch.
    treefrog

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definitely sounds like an open circuit due to worn ignition switch.....Leave it alone and it will not get better.Go get it fixed
    Go Navy!!

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ended up being the ignition switch. Figured it out after doinh the NSS. Oh well, at least I know that is new now. Thanks folks!