2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sell or mod??

I dont know if I should sell my current Jeep and buy a used Rubicon or just stick with what I have and change everything. The Rubicon seems to have a better foundation to work off of but then lacks the satisfaction of doing those things myself. I have seen the jeeps on here an noticed that pretty much every component is changed or modified on the examples that I am using as a reference for my build, so is it worth it to trade up or just work with what I have? All feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a tricky question and answers will vary greatly.

It all comes down to a few questions. What is your end goal? How much money are you willing to spend on D44's and a 4:1 transfer case? Is the Rubicon going to come with a hefty monthly payment? Could you save that money over a year and upgrade your current Jeep to "Rubicon" status?

If your current Jeep is all rusted out and has high miles than I suppose getting into a new/newer Rubicon isn't a bad idea. But then you'd have the added cost of lift/tires.

However, if your current Jeep is just fine, except for the D30/35 axles and a lack of 4:1 low range than you should just build some D44's and get a 4:1 transfer case. It would be cheaper in the end.

Good Luck!

-Jeff C.
    Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you want your end goal to be?
    If you want larger than 35" tires, stick with what you have. If you'll be fat and happy on 35's, go with the rubi... or stick with what you have.

I went with a rubi after totaling my last jeep... x model.
    Now I'm kind of wishing I went with another x since I'm looking into pretty much replacing the entire drivetrain.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm assuming you have a TJ. for those who want an out-the-box wheeler, buy a rubi. if you plan on modding it (especially axles/gearing) stick with the X. if you already have an X, this shouldnt even be a question. What rubi owners find out quick is that all the extra money they spend on it is usually bolted off and replaced with better, beefier aftermarket parts. keep what you have (which is the most expensive part of a build) and lift and lock it then enjoy.
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted a Rubi really bad for a long time, and I finally got one but I got mine for several reasons.

So, why didn't I get just a TJ or a regular Unlimited?

-Wanted a Jeep as a daily driver (traded my Dodge Dakota in for it)
    -I got an Unlimited for the extra room
    -I wanted the lockers
    -I wanted the D44s (even though they are a little weaker than other 44s)
    -I REALLY wanted the 4:1 transfercase

Again, for the next LONG forseeable future I won't be building the mess out of this one as I have a YJ for that. If I were building a newer Jeep to thrash would I have bought this one? That's a good question. Do you need to buy a Rubi instead? Those questions are asked pretty well above. For me the biggest thing is the transfercase and the extra room I got with the Unlimited. The axle tubes are a little weak and if I were really building I would probably go larger than a D44 in the rear, it's a great start but not where I would stop. If you have the money to buy and build, well then heck why not. If not, then keep what you have and throw an Atlas under it and some 9"s or 60's or whatever. As far as the satisfaction, I am plenty satisfied with my purchase of my Rubi knowing that I didn't have to install the gears, or the axles or the 4:1 transfercase.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
    I wanted a Rubi really bad for a long time, and I finally got one but I got mine for several reasons.

So, why didn't I get just a TJ or a regular Unlimited?

-Wanted a Jeep as a daily driver (traded my Dodge Dakota in for it)
    -I got an Unlimited for the extra room
    -I wanted the lockers
    -I wanted the D44s (even though they are a little weaker than other 44s)
    -I REALLY wanted the 4:1 transfercase

Again, for the next LONG forseeable future I won't be building the mess out of this one as I have a YJ for that. If I were building a newer Jeep to thrash would I have bought this one? That's a good question. Do you need to buy a Rubi instead? Those questions are asked pretty well above. For me the biggest thing is the transfercase and the extra room I got with the Unlimited. The axle tubes are a little weak and if I were really building I would probably go larger than a D44 in the rear, it's a great start but not where I would stop. If you have the money to buy and build, well then heck why not. If not, then keep what you have and throw an Atlas under it and some 9"s or 60's or whatever. As far as the satisfaction, I am plenty satisfied with my purchase of my Rubi knowing that I didn't have to install the gears, or the axles or the 4:1 transfercase.

yeah thats a good point- DD and some wheelability, go Rubi. panty dropping mud monster- mod the X
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

GrapeApe

What is your current jeep? Any mods?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a stock 98 TJ with swampers. I am going to pass it down to my son when he gets old enough.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As stated above, that's a tough question, and depends on your end goals.

I'm looking at selling/trading in my F150 and getting a JK or Rubi, preferably an Unlimited like Big Green went with.

I would only lift it a bit, and go up a tire size or two, and use it as my DD occasional playtoy.

Mainly becuase I have my CJ and XJ for serious playing

Having a newer, dependable, and easy to drive rig for trips like Moab and Camp MJ really appeals to me.

The CJ is fun, but it's 30 years old, and I wheel it hard, meaning more breakage, more maintainence, etc.

I do plan on getting one, but only becuase I have 2 dedicated wheeling/DD rigs now.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you looking at a used TJ Rubi or JK Rubi? With a JK you would get electric sway bar disconnect and more room for bigger tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast