2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rausch Creek

I went to RC for the first time on Feb 27 for a green (stocker friendly) guided ride. I had never been a driver during an organized trail ride and it was the first time I had ever actually used the Rubicon. I also had never done any real snow wheeling so that was completely new to me. It isn't exactly stock as it has a spring spacer BB and 33's but I wanted to test it, and me, under tame conditions. There ended up being about 2 feet of snow on the ground so it wasn't exactly stocker friendly after all and we dropped two stock vehicles after less than mile. 05+ Grand Cherokees apparently don't do well with stock tires and that much snow. He had no ground clearance and was pulled out several times in a very short distance. The whole thing ended up being called Strap Fest as people were constantly being pulled. At one point I made a pull and then lost traction and had to get pulled forward. Sure I could have winched myself but it was easier to pulled a foot or so.

Anyway, I got to try out the Rubi and I learned a lot that day.

Situation: The truck in front of me took two times to get it and the first time got half way and started spinning creating a hole right up against a rock. At first I tried to walk up it like some of the big Jeeps had done (of course they had deeper gears and bigger tires) the slow approach didn't work so I tried a little faster (video 1). In the video 2 I backed up and went flying up the hill in 3rd gear and 4lo. The whole time I'm thinking, I have to drive this Jeep 350 miles tomorrow, if I break something I am SCREWED!

So, I am ready for some trails at the M&G. Here are the videos.

Video 1

Video 2

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet!! Snow wheeling is a whole different beast! I jump back and forth between HI range and LO.

I imagine having the 4:1 LO in the Rubi didn't help much

Deep snow takes big baloon tires and lots of wheelspeed!

But then, ya bounce of trees!

Looks like fun!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    Sweet!! Snow wheeling is a whole different beast! I jump back and forth between HI range and LO.

I imagine having the 4:1 LO in the Rubi didn't help much
    The 4Hi and 4Lo thing is what I had trouble with all day. The guide said when we started that he was gonna be running 4Lo and he had a 231 so I figured 4Lo in the Rubi would be too much so I swapped back and forth all day. The other built rig mentioned how he hoped the leader wasn't still in 4Lo so that confused me even farther. Turns out the Rubi ran just fine in 4Lo and third or fourth gear.