Served
    Served
    2002 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Xj mpg

hey all, i think im getting lower then average mpg in my xj. just took a road trip up to georgia and back, 280 miles to a full tank.

that seem low? 2000 XJ sport, 4.0 stock motor, 130k on it.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much gas did it take to fill it up after the trip. Figure out your MPG. 280 seems low, but what were the driving conditions, mountains, windy, speed you were going?
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I`m getting about 19-20 mph or around 290-300 to each tank full.2000 xj 110,00 miles,and 4.0 liter in line six.
    Last edited by deckster; 03-13-2010 at 14:48. Reason: added info
    Go Navy!!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I am getting about 300miles each tank, cause my fuel guage is broken and I get to 300 and fill up... so I might even get just a tad bit over... but I would say at least 300 for me... 1998 XJ 113K, 4.0..... But I know when I hit the highway and try to keep above 65, or hit above 65 passing quite a bit that I will get alot less miles to tank... so if you were hauling quite a bit of weight in the Jeep or hauling a$$ quite a bit... that could be where a good portion of your mileage went... cause I know when I drove for a month with alot of saws and drill presses loading down my Jeep I got some crappy gas mileage driving to and from work....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, conditions, speed, weight, all play a part.

I get around 18 on good days. I've gotten as low as 14 when loaded and hauling along at 75 with a headwind.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really eed to properly calculate your mpg.

Here is a lik to make it easy. http://www.anycalculator.com/gascalculator.htm

fill...trip OD. next time you fill write down miles and how much gas you pumped back to fill. plug numbers in above and there you go.

You have to keep in mind that a 20 mile difference on a 20gallon tank is only 1 mile per gallon difference.

What mods are done to the xj. Tires. Tire pressure is the number 1 cause for mpg drop. I know some people that cough up extra dough for premium cause they see a small diff in mpg.

Personnely I am in a yj on 5inches of lift and on 35s with a stock 4cyl auto(373gears) and I am larning as I go with working on my jeep. But every mechanic will tell ya its all about trouble shooting. So I dont mean to sound like a dick but if you have mpg questions my first advice would be to correctly find out what you are getting. My guess would be a few tanks that way you have a broad spectum to pull for. Keep a log as silly as it seems but tire pressure checks,conditions,driving habits just write em down in a small notebook in your jeep. Then you will have a better (more precise) account of mpg. Then come back and update us and people will have a better idea of exactly what you are looking at.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

driving conditions were normal for florida this time of year, 75 degrees, windy, FLAT ROADS! tires inflated correctly , fresh fluids n air filter. doing 75-80mph. auto trans

filled at 280 miles, then again at 265...

maybe its right on the money, mpg wise. just trying to compare with other XJers

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know what year XJ's you guys have but my 97 had a 20 gal or so tank and would get just over 400 miles to a tank on the hwy, keeping the speeds in check.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91YEEPER View Post
    i dont know what year XJ's you guys have but my 97 had a 20 gal or so tank and would get just over 400 miles to a tank on the hwy, keeping the speeds in check.
    That is what I was getting in mine and what I am getting in my WJ, about 400 miles to a tank.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
    That is what I was getting in mine and what I am getting in my WJ, about 400 miles to a tank.
    That's around 21-22 mpg (assuming your not running the tank dry)

Which is good for an XJ. Last year on our trip to Moab, it was me that needed to fill up first, out of 4 XJ's and a TJ. I was getting 380 per tank, and taking on about 18 gallons.

But jackhammer's right, if you want to know the exact milage, and what affects it, keep a notebook handy, and write everything down.

I always check my milage, but only on longer trips do I get really accurate.

Becuase of my tires and stock gearing, I use my GPS to track the milage. This gets me dead on for milage.

After a couple of tanks, I know my 'limit' for the trip, and that way I make sure I don't run out of fuel in the middle of no where

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast