Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default YJ guys

YJ guys what 4" sua springs give the best flex? I am going to be picking some up and am wondering what your thoughts and regrets are. Thanks

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Diamond makes some great springs. Not sure if they have a 4" for the YJ though.

All they had when I bought mine (for my CJ) were 3" lift.

They flex like crazy!! But, if you run a hardtop and /or heavy rear bumper w/oversize spare, make sure you get a spring that reflects that.

Some of the better companies have different rate springs, for wether you run a hardtop, winch up front, etc.

The rear of my CJ started to sag after 2 years, becuase of the extra weight. I could have gotten new springs under warranty, but they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again. So I just added a 4" AAL from a YJ, now my CJ sits level, and still flexes great.

I'd be leary of Rough Country, my buddy Ardens YJ's 4" lift sank 2 inches, while sitting in his garage over the winter!

And thier XJ rear leafs were doing the same as of last year.

Supposedly they 'fixed' the problem. But I personally won't chance it.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Vice President MJCS simple88wrangler's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am running 4 inch military wrap springs on my 88 from Rusty's offroad. they flex like crazy.

/l ,[____],
    l---L []llllll[]-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_) 1988 YJ W/4.0HO, AW4 swap with Rad Shifter, Waggy & Isuzu 44's, Eaton E-Lockers, 5.13 gears, 37" KM2's, Front 3 link with FOA 16 inch coilovers, rear triangulated 4 link w stock TJ coils, WB stretched to 103", Currie anti-rock sway bar, custom highline tube fenders, Rear aluminum crusher corners, Poison Spyder rocker knockers, TNT rear bumper and tire carrier.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to beat Old Man Emu........flex great and a good ride as well.....though they are spendy.
    BDS is a good alternative, and a little less pricey than OME.
    If you don't mind spending top dollar, National Spring or Alcan will build a custom set for you......you give them the specs on your Jeep and they'll build exactly what you need.
    '93 YJ, SOA, 35s, locked front & rear
    '99 Ram tow machine, 5.9 Cummins

Vice President MJCS simple88wrangler's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rusty's kit cost my 450.
    /l ,[____],
    l---L []llllll[]-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_) 1988 YJ W/4.0HO, AW4 swap with Rad Shifter, Waggy & Isuzu 44's, Eaton E-Lockers, 5.13 gears, 37" KM2's, Front 3 link with FOA 16 inch coilovers, rear triangulated 4 link w stock TJ coils, WB stretched to 103", Currie anti-rock sway bar, custom highline tube fenders, Rear aluminum crusher corners, Poison Spyder rocker knockers, TNT rear bumper and tire carrier.

Johnny cash jeep combat.medic06's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1996 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army

All those kits are good but if you plan on keeping your jeep it is nice to have an insurance policy IE:Rubicon Express 4.5 extreme duty just put mine on and it is mad soft. My jeep rides better now than it did stock. The only thing I did special is because of my hard top and the extra weight. I relocated my rear shackle mounts to under the frame. Now you can buy The mounts or just use your old leaf springs to make some. I cut two leaf spring ends off and welded two small triangular braces one on either side of each wrap and they look and work just like the ones you buy. They weld directly under the old frame mount holes with a few precise measurements. My wrangler sits about an inch taller in the rear but is perfectly level running down the road. The main difference in the lifts are that the Extreme Duty is greasable at every single moving joint. this will literally make your bushings last the lifetime of your jeep and you will flex smoother absolutely no binding in this system. Going this weekend to stretch it out at the badlands. I will post some flexy pics when I get back. All joking aside this lift will leave a big hole in your pocket, but what the hell, I plan on keeping my jeep from now on and never having to buy another lift.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Johnny cash jeep combat.medic06's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1996 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That set also has a military wrap.

She-Jeeping Jarhead LeafspringMARINE's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a YJ GIRL , HillBillie, Black Diamond is good. And yes, they still only carry a 3" kit for YJ. I think I've heard you can add spacers and that they make a steering link adapter that will make up for and compensate for the extra inch.
    Meghan - MY KID CAN PICK OFF YOUR HONORS STUDENT AT A CLICK AND A HALF !
    • Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
      Ronald Reagan

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeafspringMARINE View Post
    From a YJ GIRL , HillBillie, Black Diamond is good. And yes, they still only carry a 3" kit for YJ. I think I've heard you can add spacers and that they make a steering link adapter that will make up for and compensate for the extra inch.
    I went with a 1" Body Lift, for 4" total lift. I liked the OME and RE stuff, but cost was a factor, as I was rebuilding my entire rig. I spent just under $400 for mine, but that was 6-7 years ago now.

Next time I'll pop for the RE stuff I plan on handing my CJ down to my youngest son, and he won't even have his liscense for another 8 years

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An SOA would be my suggestion. But I've had good luck with BDS lifts. RE IMHO is way over priced.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast