Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default R & p

Are all ring and pinions created equal? Are certain manufacturers better than others?

Since I am stuffing 4.88s I understand the pinion gets smaller. I am not too worried about the 8.8 this is more directed toward the dana 30. Would geting the dana 30 gears chryoed be worth the while. I read somewhere theres a place in cali that will chryo ring and pinions for $30.

Any and all input welcome. Thanks

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've installed a bunch of different brands of ring and rinions, and by far the best for quality has been Yukon Brand. In my opinion, having run steep gear sets in a dana 30, I wouldn't spend the money on getting the pinion gear cryo'd. You are going to be more prone to blowing out axle u-joints and outer stub shafts then you are the pinion gear. As long as you follow proper break-in procedure, your ring and pinion will be fine.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most ring and pinions are just repackaged and sold to the consumer under a different name brand. Yukon doesn't make their own for instance. The last one i bought from them was made in south korea.

What you want to look for is if they are made out of 8620 steel, that's what's really important. OEM gears are made of 4027 steel, and so are a lot of the cheap ring and pinion sets.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ckato4477 View Post
    most ring and pinions are just repackaged and sold to the consumer under a different name brand. Yukon doesn't make their own for instance. The last one i bought from them was made in south korea.

What you want to look for is if they are made out of 8620 steel, that's what's really important. OEM gears are made of 4027 steel, and so are a lot of the cheap ring and pinion sets.

Intereasting response....hope you dont mind I quoted you a couple other places to see what people think

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
    Intereasting response....hope you dont mind I quoted you a couple other places to see what people think

Do a search on Pirate4x4.com, there are a few good sources on there that will tell you the same.

Unless they specifically state that they are made in the USA, they are made in the USA, they are most likely just repackaged. I'm pretty sure Richmond makes their own, atleast i know that they make their own top of the line XP gears, but i'm not sure who else does.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ckato4477 View Post

100% Agree... In top of that if the R/P set up is done right... I seen "name brand gear sets" granaded because inproper set up, and cheapo sets hold up real good set up and broken in the right way....

Just my experience....

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1980 to 1984

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've installed alot of Yukon's, Dana's, Superior, Motive, etc. The only issue I've run ito was a set of noisey Yukon 4.56's in a Chrysler 8.25" rear axle. Even though the pinon depth and gear pattern were spot on it was still a whiner. A little research on the WWW revealed that it was not uncommon for that application and that Yukon had made some design changes as a result.

Long story shortened:
    Even name brand gears can have issues.

The only brand I won't install is Genuine Gears from 4W Parts.
    http://zhvac.webs.com/

9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)