Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Going to Iwakuni

Who's got the scoop from there? Never been there and going for a year unacompanied.
    Mark
    Seabees

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1976 to 2000

Closest Installation

NAS Key West
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mark, I Have spent 7 years total in the kuni throughout my 20 years in Marine Aviation. It,s not that bad a duty station, all the squadrons are on 6 month deployments from Conus so lots of new faces constantly. As far as the Seabees go i didn't have any contact with them, but they were always working on something around the base. there is a great gym, bowling alley, the clubs used to be good, but they have a new all ranks club that opened after I left the last time. I haven't been there since 1999, but it didn't change that much over the 20 years i went over there!!! I'll check back and try to help on questions you have!!!
    Semper FI

“Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference to the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.”

President Ronald Reagan

06 TJ X, Cold air intake, 1.50 seat lift, 3" BB,Skyjacker Hydro 7000's (1 inch body lift pending), V-Force exhaust,

http://marines.togetherweserved.com/profile/188631

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2003

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was stationed out of Sasebo japan, but have been to iwakuni many many times. it is awesome, 1999-2003 era, go off base away from the military bars once in a while and mingle with the locals. the japanese are so nice, you will love it japan is like being on an entirely different planet