2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default axles and lockers.

I have open diffs- d35 and d30 with 3.07 gearing. this is basically the worst setup Jeeps can see. I don't see a point in locking them, but I was wondering what is better/more cost efficient. regearing them or finding beefier axles that are already geared. I dont plan on running anything bigger than 33's on this thing for a while.

I have 2 kids, so don't tell me some 10k dollar awesome monster build I could do. I would expect to pay maybe 2k- though I dont know how possible that is.
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could probably find axles out of an auto 2.5L that are already geared to 4.10 for a few hundred dollars.

You could regear your stock axles for around $1k-$1200.

You could get an 8.8 with disc brakes from a junkyard for $200, and pay someone to set it up in a TJ with gears/locker for maybe $1500. Then regear your front axle to match. The 8.8 also has the same bolt pattern, so you don't need to worry about changing that out to match the front.

Full width D44 for about the same price.. maybe a bit more. Different bolt pattern, and full width.

Personally, I don't see much point in upgrading the D35 unless you're on 31" tires and plan on staying on 31" tires.
    The D30 is pretty decent and can run 35" tires with little to no problems if you upgrade the shafts.

You could sell your kids on the black market, link the rig, upgrade to rockwells, run 44" tires.

Just kidding about that last one.... but you could.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can go to pick and pull/salvage yards and buy one ton axles for 150 a piece that are already geared with 4.56's. or you could search craigslist. You just have to keep your eye out. The best place to go is actually a steel recycling center. Insurance companies take the vehicles that are totalled and drop them off there. The steel recycling centers charge you 33 cents per pound of steel you buy from them here in San Antonio.

I paid 250 for both my axles(dana super 60 and ford 10.5"), paid 365 in ring and pinion sets and set them up myself. That's a measly $615 for some very stout axles. 2 grand is easily attainable.

I'm doing a monster build, and i'm not spending anywhere near 10K, i'm spending more like 2500 at the most. watch craigslist like it's your job and you will find good deals

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No matter what axles you choose your looking at $1200-$1500 to build for a TJ

But your best bet is to keep an eye out for Rubi Axles. $800-$1200 each
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    You could probably find axles out of an auto 2.5L that are already geared to 4.10 for a few hundred dollars.

You could sell your kids on the black market, link the rig, upgrade to rockwells, run 44" tires.

how much for the boy? haha.

I don't understand why axles from an auto 2.5 liter would be so cheap? what's the cons? also, I dont plan on running anything bigger than 33's. I did some decent trails stock on 30's until now, and think that starting bigger than that is cheating and a good way to learn nothing. 33's will just help me get some clearance for the big boy rocks.

www.4x4corps.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ckato4477 View Post
    you can go to pick and pull/salvage yards and buy one ton axles for 150 a piece that are already geared with 4.56's. or you could search craigslist. You just have to keep your eye out. The best place to go is actually a steel recycling center. Insurance companies take the vehicles that are totalled and drop them off there. The steel recycling centers charge you 33 cents per pound of steel you buy from them here in San Antonio.

I paid 250 for both my axles(dana super 60 and ford 10.5"), paid 365 in ring and pinion sets and set them up myself. That's a measly $615 for some very stout axles. 2 grand is easily attainable.

I'm doing a monster build, and i'm not spending anywhere near 10K, i'm spending more like 2500 at the most. watch craigslist like it's your job and you will find good deals
    damn, i'll definately do that.

www.4x4corps.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tickwomp View Post
    how much for the boy? haha.

I don't understand why axles from an auto 2.5 liter would be so cheap? what's the cons? also, I dont plan on running anything bigger than 33's. I did some decent trails stock on 30's until now, and think that starting bigger than that is cheating and a good way to learn nothing. 33's will just help me get some clearance for the big boy rocks.
    It's the same dana 30/35, but the 2.5l came with 4.10 gears.
    If you're going to stick with 33's, I'd probably look for the rear 44 out of a rubicon (4.10 gears and locker), and regear the front to match. You should be able to find the rear for around $1k, maybe a tad more, and it bolts right on. You'll need a different drive shaft, so add another $200-$300 on to your price.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually YJ 4cyl manual is 4.10 auto is 3.73. That is the cheapest way to gear and upgrade. If you have a guy that welds even cheaper. You can reuse your tj brackets. A 410 yj axle shouldnt be more than 150 8.8 300. You really should do an sye at same time so you can set rear pinion angle the correct way once. A drive shaft can be shortened from a zj front for about 70. Dont swap in a 35 you will regret

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5 manual have the 4:10 and the 2.5 auto came with the 3:73....

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to say......Be patient....A good set up will come when you least expect it.I found front/rear diffs out of 82 Blazer with leaf springs,manual locking hubs(front axle dana44),and disc brakes.Rear axle with limited slip chevy corp 10 bolt geared at 4.10 with 4 brand new trail master SSV shocks all for 600.00!The deals are out there in the trading post papers and craig`s list.Just need to keep looking
    Go Navy!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast