Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Long Vs Short Arm Suspension?

I'm over in Iraq right now and have been browsing the web for a lift and while I have found a lot of products I have'nt found any comments or feedback as to how well they work. I am not a heavy wheeler nor into extreme buildups (read-daily driver) and would prefer a bolt on system, I have a lift, airtools and wirefeed welder/plasma cutter.

What I am looking for is honest advice-please remember I use this for going back and forth to work 15 miles down a dirt road-washboard when dry/nasty when wet-some washouts and My kids need to be able to get in the back hopefully by themselves.

2009 JK Unlimited X-Smitty SRC bumpers and a 10k winch running 32's want 35's at max.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if thats all you're going to be doing then go short arm. its cheaper. but if you think there is any chance that you may want to go bigger or more aggresive in the future, go ahead and get the long arm. i dont know much about whats out there for JKs but this is my advice.

BTW, welcome to the forum. be sure to post up in the intro section.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this opinions are like assholes. I'd say go long ARM cause youre going to be beating the shit out of it on washouts. It's more comfortable and will last longer. Do it right the first time

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote long arm also. The higher the lift, the steeper the control arms get, and a long arm will help with that, giving a smoother ride.

(although I don't think you need a lot of lift on the JK to fit 35's)

I have long arms on the front of my XJ, and it's so much smoother than my buddies with the same lift and short arms. Both on road and off.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done a lot of research into this before I bought my lift. From what I've read and seen, some call the JK arms, meduim arms. They are larger than a stock TJ, but shorter than long arms. The stock JK control arms are just weak, any lift with adjustable controls work great. You can put 35's under a JK with a 2" bb.

I run adjustalbe control arms on a 4" lift, 1"BL on 37's with no rubbing or binding. The ride is very smoothe, the family doesn't mind riding in it on long trips.

just my 2 cents
    2008 4DR Rubi - White
    4" Teraflex / 1" M.O.R.E. BL / 37" Goodyear MTR's / Cragar soft 8's-17x8
    LOD Signiture Series Rear, Shorty Front Bumper & Rock Sliders / Superwinch 9.0EPi Winch
    Lightforce 140's on Windshield & 170's on Bumper / Warn VTC

If you spot me, I'll do it! socalkenny's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spazz View Post
    Done a lot of research into this before I bought my lift. From what I've read and seen, some call the JK arms, meduim arms. They are larger than a stock TJ, but shorter than long arms. The stock JK control arms are just weak, any lift with adjustable controls work great.
    What he said.
    A proud member of the best "Most F'd Up Club" in SoCal: http://www.4x4corps.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely forgot about the mid-arms for JK's. I may have to strike my original comment in support for that.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you have the cash to burn and are planning to go above 37's, just staying with the mid-arm on the JK is the best option. Spend the extra cash on some armor/bumpers/winch/etc.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theyeti1775 View Post
    Unless you have the cash to burn and are planning to go above 37's, just staying with the mid-arm on the JK is the best option. Spend the extra cash on some armor/bumpers/winch/etc.

Word.
    Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are looking for a kit that comes with all. Go with a Clayton JK 3.5" kit.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...products_id=43

Being I run a TJ I do not have any first hand experience with JK lifts or suspension. But I do know mine, 3.5" RE springs with RC adjustable control arms with 33" tires. My driving is similar to yours. My jeep is a fishing/hunting rig, not alot of major wheeling going on here. My favorite hunting spot is 350 miles one way. So it spends more time on road than off. But there is no where that I can not get my jeep once I am in the woods that I hunt. Even my buddies with 4-wheelers are amazed at where I put my jeep.
    Ron
    US Navy 1993-'97

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast