1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Radiator Question

Looks like I'll have to pick up a new radiator or fix the old one. I got a pin hole in the upper tank that sprays when I turn the heep off and the pressure builds. I was wondering if it is worth it to just go with an aluminum radiator or just stick with the copper/brass. What does everyone think?
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pin hole? jb weld it if you can. I have gotten a replacement alum rad, which so far is fine. alot of guys who twist their rigs up more then me say the alums split the tanks and the tubes apart real easy.
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by irish1371 View Post
    pin hole? jb weld it if you can. I have gotten a replacement alum rad, which so far is fine. alot of guys who twist their rigs up more then me say the alums split the tanks and the tubes apart real easy.
    If I can find exactly where the hole is I'm going to give it a try. It's a damn small hole and you cant see it until the coolant starts spitting out. I just worry about it moving to the next weak spot and with hot weather just around the corner I'd rather not get stuck some where.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    If I can find exactly where the hole is I'm going to give it a try. It's a damn small hole and you cant see it until the coolant starts spitting out. I just worry about it moving to the next weak spot and with hot weather just around the corner I'd rather not get stuck some where.
    Not sure what kind of rig you are running (I am guessing a CJ just from your screen name), but you obviously have a few different options depending on what platform you are working with.

As far as an aluminum replacement, I have never heard of them being more failure prone, but it would not surprise me. JB weld is, of course, is pretty much a universal fix. If your radiator is all metal, (unlike my old stock TJ radiator) you might be able to solder the pin hole yourself with either a soldering iron, or a small butane torch. (I did this to my crappy aftermarket metal TJ radiator purchased from www.1aauto.com - stay away from their Chinese made crap!!!)

I have since replaced it with an American made all metal radiator purchased from a small shop near my folks' home in Texas... I agree about not wanting the radiator to crap out in the middle of BFE on a hot summer day. My vote goes to the copper/brass replacement if your old radiator provided adequate cooling before springing a leak. Good luck with your repair/replacement, and let us know how it works out!!!
    "Mankind has a perfect record in aviation safety if you consider we have never left one up there"

2001 TJ 4" lift, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, HP D30/D44 with 4.88's, ARBs and chromolys, AA SYE, TW rear driveshaft, too much other junk to list here...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you have acsess to a radiator pressure tester hook it up and pressurize the radiator and find the hole, you should be able to rent one from auto zone or some place like that and i would just solder the damm thing, but if your replacing it i would definitley stay away from aluminum IMO there not as sturdy as copper brass for off road purposes
    " if you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English, thank a Soldier"

I READ TODD DID

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I found exactly where the leak was at, from the bottom of the top tank. So soldering is out of the question, looks like I'll be shopping for a new rad today.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1982 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out radiator barn on the net. They sell all metal for around 150.00 or so, mine has held up fine.
    Joe

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a factory style replacement from ebay a few weeks back for about $90 with shipping. Until then I used the pepper trick to keep it from leaking. I never did think that would work but it did without any problems. Just flush the system when you change radiators.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
    I got a factory style replacement from ebay a few weeks back for about $90 with shipping. Until then I used the pepper trick to keep it from leaking. I never did think that would work but it did without any problems. Just flush the system when you change radiators.

can you explain said pepper trick i have never heard of it
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
    can you explain said pepper trick i have never heard of it
    The pepper trick is where you put a bit of black pepper in the rad to stop up small leaks.

I ended up getting a new one from of all places Pep Boys. I normally don't shop there because the service sucks. I called all over town amd no one had it but all could order it and it would take about 5 days to get. I called Pep and they told me they had it in the warehouse and could have it by about noon and it was only $150 so I jumped on it. They called me just after 9 and said it was there. To say the least I was shocked. The install went pretty easy with only some small hang ups. The worst being the speed nuts were stripped and I had to pry the old rad out and replace them. All is good now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast