2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wheeling and Breakage!!

My local club had a trip planned today near Grand Rapids, MN. When we arrived to our rally/parking area we were greated by the Sheriff's office. They had the whole area cordoned off and were "searching for evidence from an incident that occured last evening".

So, we all made the 1.5 hour trek to Gilbert, MN and wheeled all day at the Iron Range OHV Recreation Area. Had lots of fun. One Jeep had it's fuel pump stop working. One guy broke his transfer case and I did this:

Got into a twisty section of the trail. Popped the ball joints out and busted the U-joint and axleshaft. After some banging with a hammer and some clever jacking/propping we got the ball joints half-assed put together. Just enough to winch it out and limp it back to the parking area. I had to drive my friend Jeremy's YJ home. He just got it and had never driven it at highway speed, so he didn't know how it would ride. Funny enough, it rode just fine!

Here's some more wheeling pics:

Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid

Wheelin requires wrenchin Doppler's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy crap you must have come down hard off of something to do that. Got any video of it happening?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I didn't come down hard at all. It just got bound up slow crawling in some twisties and it pulled apart. No video.
    Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid