2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Death Wobble

Found out today exiting the freeway that I have one. I also get a weird popping every now and again when I turn- like something may be rotating wrong or something. The death wobble was pretty violent. Any thoughts?
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your track bar at both ends (axle and frame).

Rock crawling Infidel BucketOKarma's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the frame end is usually the culprit due to the single sheer bolt design. But, I agree check the trackbar first, have someone try turning the steering wheel just enough to move the tires with the engine off while you're looking at the trackbar. If the trackbar is the problem you will notice play at one of the ends (or both if it's bad enough).
    - Shane

2000 TJ 2.5L SE, 2" spacers and XJ springs up front, Crown-Vic springs in the rear, Edlebrock shocks, 33" Dayton M/Ts, JKS discos, SYE/CV shaft, Warn gastank skid, 4.88 gears ShrockWorks sliders, OX locker, Camo soundbar, and 04 Willys Edition front seats, still LOOKING FOR A MATCHING REAR SEAT.

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this the culprit for the popping or the wobble? My guess is the wobble is an alignment problem since i've lifted it twice and only garage balanced my tires.
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be for both. My track bar started to come loose on the axle side, and I'd get a loud pop when turning. The track bar all holds the axle center to the frame... if there's play in it, the axle and frame can start moving back and forth in opposite directions causing the wobble.
    The easiest way to tell is to have someone crank the steering wheel back and forth (with the tires on the ground) and look at both ends of the track bar for play.

If you spot me, I'll do it! socalkenny's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Check your track bar at both ends (axle and frame).
    X2!!!!
    About 2 weeks ago on my way to work I hit a pot hole and what followed could only be described as death wobble at its most violent extreme. Scared shite out of me. I had to come to a complete stop before the shaking would quit. Started up again slowly and decided to drive the remaining couple of miles to work. Made it in no problem. After the sun came up I decided to go out and look at my suspension. Thinking I would never be able to determine the cause from just a visual inspection, I wasn't very hopefull. But when I looked under there it was pretty obvious. My lower track bar bolt (where it attaches to the axle) was coming out and was literally hanging by a thread. Ouch, that one could have hurt.
    A proud member of the best "Most F'd Up Club" in SoCal: http://www.4x4corps.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty anything loose up front can cause death wobble. Like suggested above have a buddy crank the wheel back and forth. Anything not moving smoothly or is loose should be replaced or tightened. Some things don't need to be tightened as much as you think, I think the track bar axle end is only 65lbs for a TJ, any tighter than that causes a popping noise and feel on my jeep when I turn hard enough.

Just for info a bad steering damper is never the cause of death wobble, replacing it can cover up death wobble for a while. A steering damper just makes the steering feel right. You should be able to run even without one and not have death wobble.
    Last edited by Ross; 04-05-2010 at 11:34.
    "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
    Zig Ziglar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1988 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default (*&^%@# death wobble @#$%^

With eng online and tranny in park just rotate the wheel left and right. If you get body roll(movement) it'll be clear that either the trackbar bushing are shot or hardware need retorqued. Then work your way to steering components/geometry and hubs........etc........
    "An army of asses lead by a lion is far better than an army of lions lead by an ass."

'98 ZJ, 4.0L, NP242, 4.5" RE Coils, JKS Control Arms, JKS Adj.Tracbars, RE Monotube Shocks w BPE's, JKS Quicker Discoz, S/S Braid'd brake lines, Doug Thorley Header, T/B Spacer, K&N Drop-in,2.5" Pipes & High Flow Cat, Dynomax Welded Muffler, 32x11.50 BFG MT KM2's on 15x8 Blk Rock Steelies and various Mfgs decals for added H/P.........

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2000 to 2010

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check your steering stablizer. you may need to upgrade or just replace it with a new one

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steering stabilizers won't cause death wobble, they only mask issues. if you're steering/suspension is good, you should be able to drive down the road at speed with no stabilizer what so ever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast