1987 to Present

Closest Installation

Grafenwoehr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CJ7 windshield

I have a 1986 CJ7. That I am restoring/mod. I recently put in a custom dash. I replaced the windshield Rubber and silconed it. I silconed the top of the windshield were my soft top bracket is and it still leaks when it rains and it is not a small leak. I got a lot of money out on this dash and the water will make it rust and mess up the wiring. Any ideas how fix this problem.
    He who sheds his blood with me this day, shall forever be my brother. BROTHERS FOREVER.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you talking about the soft top bracket that drills in to hold the plastic strip on the soft top?

i would use weather stripping from any home store. cut to length, put the header back on and screw it down. used it on my tj hard top and all road noise and water stopped coming in.

edit: the weather stripping i'm talking about is like teh 1/2" thick foam stripping that compresses to seal when pressure is applied.

stomper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

Grafenwoehr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a good idea but I don't think the leak is there anymore. I have drips over my speakers, heater controls, glove box( which is moved in on my new dash plate so my speaker is on the outside of the glovebox now.) The worst leak is over the heater control which like today by the time I got to post my right foot was soaked. I did find a leak in the seal around the glass but it can't be were all the water is caming from.
    He who sheds his blood with me this day, shall forever be my brother. BROTHERS FOREVER.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem.

1- Cowl seal. Make sure its in good condition. Based on your other posts, you seem mechanically intelligent so I'm not going to elaborate too much on this. For me, it was as simple as dropping the windshield and making sure it was placed properly when I raised it back up.

2- The intake grate thing on the cowl. Take it off and make sure it's clear of debris. Lemme see if I can find the link to my thread cause I think HillBillE posted pics of where to clean out to ensure proper flow.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here you go brother. found it:

here

stomper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

Grafenwoehr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks I will check that next

stomper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

Grafenwoehr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the help but it turned out to be the windshield seal itself. It leaked in the 2 lower corners.