Closest Installation

Fort Knox
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Loud popping from ends of rear end

Gents,

I have recently replaced my ring and pinion sets from 3;73 to 4;88 in my 08 JK. my jeep is equipped with a rear E-Locker and a front auto locker. I have now been getting a very loud pop when I turn hard left or right. There is NO noise coming from the diff's that I can hear, and Have put about 100 miles on new gears. The jeep runs fine on the straight away, and no known problem accelerating or slowing down. It also seems to have the rear tires are locking up on the sharp turns. I have already adjusted the E brake to a loose nonfactor setting (as in barley grabbing anything) and still this noise persists...Wheel Bearings, U joints? I am at a loss and I dont want my jeep to explode soooooooo, what do you guys think
    If you aint CAV, you aint $h!

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like your elocker is stuck on and when turning it is letting loose or the tire is chirping around the turn.

either that or the limited slip in your elocker is dam tight and releasing as you turn.
    is the locker an elocker? with clutch packs for the limited slip?
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

factory e-locker? I installed an Auburn Ected E-locker in my last TJ, and that thing would "stick" all the time. Sometime I would have to mess with flipping the switch, putting it in and taking it out of 4wd, turning, all kinds of weird crap to make it disengage. The final time, i had to take the cover off and manually pop the electro magnet back to the disengaged postion. I was fed up after that. Auburn won't get my money again.

So, to me it sounds like your locker is stuck in the locked position. Try getting on dirt, turning and going straight over different terrain and hitting the gas in 2wd, see if one or both wheels turn, if both are and it's locked, the magnet could be stuck and you may have to do as I did and manually release it. crappy i know.
    2008 JK Unlimited~ 4" Teraflex lift, 35" BFG KM2's, Dynatrac ProRock 44 e-locked, 5.13's, JKS QD's, JKS F&R Trackbars, MM 9500 winch, Rockhard 4x4 Full Skid System, AEV snorkel, SS brakelines,...and it goes on, and on, and on,..

If you spot me, I'll do it! socalkenny's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What they said. Locker is not disengaging. Been there. You need to fix it because it's hell on your ring and pinion and axles.
    A proud member of the best "Most F'd Up Club" in SoCal: http://www.4x4corps.com/

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing there was a bit more room for slip with your lower gear set.... now that you've gone to a deeper gear set, the locker is staying engaged whenever you're turning.