2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default looking for a quick lift

can someone please explain to me what a 2" shackle is and what it does? is this a quick fix to give some clearance for bigger tires or is this something completely different?

Also, is this even worth putting on to be able to move up past a 30" tire?

I have no intent on being able to scale walls, just looking to get a little bigger than stock. someone please advise

also, if your in the quantico area and have some yj parts your trying to get rid of, let me know
    thanks
    bob

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing wrong with a small shackle lift. The ones in that picture look kinda big to me, but it is a picture and they can be deceiving. I have heavy duty 1" lift shackles at both ends of my YJ and I personally like that setup.

As far as the body lift, personally more than 1" or 1.25" is too much. Some brands of transfercase skid plates that raise the T/C up higher recommend a 1" BL. I have a 1.25" BL for my LJ but I used a Daystar 1" BL for the YJ because I didn't want to reuse any of the old mounts which you have to do with the JKS. The mounts on the YJ were just a little too old for that for me.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, remember this: A shackle 2" longer than stock will give you only 1" of lift.

Nothing wrong with some short lift shackles. If you need to fix the pinion angle you can get some degree shims. I agree with the statement about keeping body lifts low. No more than 1"-2".

Along with maybe a little fender trimming you should fit 31's. Good luck!

-Jeff C.
    Prepared for the Zombies

91 XJ, 4.5" RC Long Arm Suspension, 35" BFG KM's on black steelies, Ford 8.8 rear, D30 w/Aussie, AA SYE, Custom bumpers, JCR Rock Sliders, Rusty's gas tank skid

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gents,
    thanks for the advice. I'm gonna say this, let's assume I have no idea WTF I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff, because i don't. I'm the boot. I just got a 93 yj like 2 weeks ago and it's got scooter tires on it. What I'm going for is just a little bigger lift and tires. I'm new to the whole building cars thing as well, so all terms are new to me as well. So, what your saying is, if I put 2" shackles on it'll give me 1" of lift. At that point, I'll be able to put 31" tires on. Correct?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may rub a bit depending how worn out your spring are. Mine were actually bent backwards. When people talk about fender trimming and you want to keep legal in most states tj flares work well. A tjs wells are opened up considerably compared to the yj if you come across some take offs or junkyard ones. Take yj ones off and hold the tj ones up to body and you can mark where you can trim. I ran 31s for a while with just tj flares in front the rear rubbed the yj flares at times. Feel fre to ask any questions you may come across

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh..and keep your eyes on craigs list and local jeep forums. Take off 31s can be found cheap and are a good investment cause its contagous...lol. You may be craving 33s before you know it

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the 1.25 performance accessories shackles and was able to run 33's with some trimming. If you're going to do a shackle lift I would go with a good brand that is nice and thick. Don't get the universal ones from your local auto parts yard as they could bend under load (flex).
    I just recently rebuilt my leaf packs which netted me about 1.5 inches so Im running about 2.75 total. with minor rubbing at full flex in the front with the swaybar connected.

I'm going for LCG build so I didn't mind trimming the fenders and flares. When all is said and done I will install a 2.5 lift system which will net well over 3 inches.

as far as body lift they are good just don't go over 3 inches. I personally don't like them as imo they look silly on jeeps because it moves the body away from the frame too much. If I were going to do a body lift I would just get the poly bushings which net about a half inch of body lift.
    `89 YJ 33's 4" lift, High-lined front and rear "The Mistress"
    ** NOTE TO SELF** it is illegal to stab stupid people in the eye with a pencil

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for 31's i ran a stock spring with a aal from a s-10 rear leaf and a 1.25"i am lift shackel then for 33's i added a 2.5" lift spring and i rubbed a lot front and rear but i am adding a 1.25" bl for more clearance if all you want is 31's i would go with a 1" bl and a 1" shakle lift the shakle can be made out of 3/8" plate steel just make the bolt holes 6" apart (stock is 4" apart)
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A short shackle lift is fine, just remember the front axle gets dropped in front, changing the orientation of the knuckles.

A 2" longer shackle (netting one inch of lift) shouldn't cuase any problems.

I also agree with going no more than a 1" BL. Going more leads to problems with linkages, steering column, and other things, not to mention saftey. Having 6-8 four inch long bolts holding the tub on? Not good to me!

I'm running stock shackles up front on my CJ, but the rear are longer, along with an AAL (add-a-leaf) from a 4" YJ lift, to compensate for the extra weight of parts and tools, and keep the rig level.

You can do a lot of wheeling on 31'' tires! We've had local club members run Moab trails on 31's!!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"