Served
    1983 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Carb and Manifold Intstall

Need some help here.

I just reinstalled my Edelbrock performer manifold and carb. This setup was on the Jeep and working well until about 3 years ago when I removed it so I could pass california emissions.

Installed on a 1979 AMC 304 in a 1983 CJ7.

My problem is that the idle is way, way to fast. I start the Jeep and the idle immedialty goes upwards of 4000 rpm and shows no sign of stoping (I keep shutting it down so it doesn't self destruct.

I've checked the fast idle screw and it is at the lowest setting. Closed the air mixture screws all the way (leanest setting). I've tried adjusting the timing; advanced and retarded. None of these seem to have any effect.

Now for the rest of the story.

1. When I put this back in last week I didn't change the gasket and had a coolant leak. I've since pulled it off again, put in a new gasket and don't have any leaks. Checked the oil and doesn't seem to be any contamination. I will change it once I get this problem fixed.

2. I hooked the fuel line up to the wrong inlet on the carb. (kicking myself in the ass for not reading the directions). I actually had the fule line connected to the PCV inlet and the PCV hose connected to the fuel inlet.

I tried and tried to start it like this. Had clouds of "vapor" coming out of the exhaust pipe which I attributed to the coolant leak. I cranked it so much I drained the battery, charged it up and cranked some more.

After I down loaded the manual and discovered my mistake, I connected the hoses correctly and cranked it over. I got this big "burst" of fluid from the tail pipe. I thought it was coolant but it was GAS! I'm talking in excess of a cup of fuel. I cranked it once more and got another cup out of it. At this point I figured I better stop before I set the house on fire.

I removed the muffler and cat. The muffler was SOAKED with fuel.

Gave it another crank and I am not getting any more fuel out what is left of the exhast system. Thats when I started messing with the idle screws and timing.

Any ideas?
    Sorry for the long post. I tried to anticipate all the questions.
    Real Jeeps are built, not bought
    '83 CJ7 - "Donkey"
    '80 CJ7 - gone but not forgotten

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1983 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Figured it out

I figured out what was wrong.

Don't peak if you want to exercise your trouble shooting skills.

Here's the answer:

The throttle cable bracket needs an adaptor to properly fit on this manifold. I didn't have that installed. Consequently, the cable was too "short" and was holding the throtle open slightly. I disconnected the cable, closed the throtle all the way and it runs fine.
    '83 CJ7 - "Donkey"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you found out what it was. Always good when someone comes back and lets us know what it going on and what fixes it.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice when it's a simple solution to what seemed a complex problem....
    Jeeps are never done!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1983 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Follow up

After I pulled the muffler and cat off I dumped about a pint of fuel from the muffler, that's after the two cups or so that spwed out the tail pipe when it was still hooked up.

Went down to vist Many, Moe and Jack and bought some parts to cobble together an exhaust system to at least get me back on the road. Now I've got a straight thru exhaust with a Cherry Bomb muffler. LOUD, but has that nice V8 rumble.

Had to relocate the throtle linkage to clear the Edelbrok carb; it is wider than the stock carb and the throttle sits farther forward. I tried to buid the bracket from the directions that came with the manifold, but still don't have it right. The linkage is too short so the carb does not open up all the way. I guess I will just break down and buy the bracket from Edelbrock.

Bottom line is that the carb and manifold are on and the beast runs!
    '83 CJ7 - "Donkey"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good deal man, you heading to Shanes tomorrow with the jeep?

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erik, had a similar problem when I put my EMPI carb on my XJ. The throttle kept sticking for a heavy idle. Tap of the gas would stop it. Found out that it was the little pin on the side where the throttle cable hooked to the mechanism was catching on the new carb. Screw driver groove later running fine.

I did get permission (aka Georgia said go ahead) to fix the fuel pump on mine, so I'll be scheduling some time for that soon. It's a mechanical one and from what I read will be outside the fuel tank so no need to drop the tank.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1983 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    good deal man, you heading to Shanes tomorrow with the jeep?
    I plan to go to Shane's but may or may not bring the Jeep.

On the heels of my stunning succes with the carb and manifold, I decided to intall my twin shift on the D300 and change the transmission mounts. Now I can't get the holes in the skid plate to line up with the studs on the trans mount.

I messed with it for 10 hours yesterday but gave up when I was getting ready to start throwing stuff around the garage. If I get it figured out tonight I will, of course, show up in the Jeep.
    '83 CJ7 - "Donkey"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik719 View Post
    I plan to go to Shane's but may or may not bring the Jeep.

On the heels of my stunning succes with the carb and manifold, I decided to intall my twin shift on the D300 and change the transmission mounts. Now I can't get the holes in the skid plate to line up with the studs on the trans mount.

I messed with it for 10 hours yesterday but gave up when I was getting ready to start throwing stuff around the garage. If I get it figured out tonight I will, of course, show up in the Jeep.
    I found it best to bolt the tranny first, then use a drift punch (or large phillips screwdriver) to align the skid/crossmember to the frame.

It's easier to manuever/twist the entire skid, than to get the trans mount to fit once the skid is bolted up, especially if the frame is tweaked (like mine)

Hope this helps, good luck! HB

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Navy Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly what I did, I attached the skid plate to the transmission, but very loosely, then I aligned and bolted in the skid plate, then went back and tightened the transmission bolts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast