2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Super Winch?

looking for opinions on super winches good, bad, and experiences using them. i just want to know is it a good buy or a no go
    High Speed, Low Drag, Teflon Coated, Super Duper Paratrooper......... With A Kung Fu Grip.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1980 to 1984

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://zhvac.webs.com/

9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)

Para-Jeeper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: super winch?

Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure I don't make that mistake.
    High Speed, Low Drag, Teflon Coated, Super Duper Paratrooper......... With A Kung Fu Grip.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So one winch fails and the entire line is bad? I read through that thread and there was no real reason for the failure found. Could have been any one of several things.

I seriously doubt Bill Burke would endorse Superwinch if they were all junk. I got it he prob gets paid for his endorsements - but he has a reputation to uphold as well.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1980 to 1984

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post
    So one winch fails and the entire line is bad? I read through that thread and there was no real reason for the failure found. Could have been any one of several things.
    The thread is still open and the OP hasn't updated it yet. I'm sure he will when he has something to report.

As far as condemning all SuperWinches, I didn't read that. The OP posted that his came apart under load, no denying that fact.

Hopefully the OP of this thread will do further research on this subject and not base his decision on any one review, whether it be positive or negative.
    http://zhvac.webs.com/

9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frankZ View Post
    The thread is still open and the OP hasn't updated it yet. I'm sure he will when he has something to report.

As far as condemning all SuperWinches, I didn't read that. The OP posted that his came apart under load, no denying that fact.

Hopefully the OP of this thread will do further research on this subject and not base his decision on any one review, whether it be positive or negative.
    Thank you for balanced comments from a vendor! (Not being sarcastic) Your last statement being a great comment. I diddnt see a condemnation of all Superwinches but the OP asked a question, there was a post of one failure, and then the OP said 'I wont make that mistake.'

For the original poster. Im not a winch expert, and Im not a vendor, but Im trained in vehicle recovery by the Army and teach it to bolth Soldiers and civilian club members. Check the recovery section. I think that recreational electric winches are starting to become more and more the same. After lots of research on my part, and actually speaking with alot of owners of diffrent winchs - you will find owners of super expensive Warn's that bolth love em and hate them, and owners of super cheap Smittybuilt and Harbor Freight winchs that bolth love em and hate em.

I would say go with a good 8000 - 9500 pound capacity with a series wound motor. Look for features that you may want, and check the specs on the winch for its actual weight and amp draw off of your electrical system. Think about how you will have it mounted as well as possibly upgrading your battery and alternator to support it.

As for me I have a Warn 9.5 ti and am a little underwhelmed with it. Its a good winch, but I dont think I really need its capabilities - and I could not justify spending what it costs now. I bought it for $700 5 years ago on sale. I am looking at buying a winch for the MJ Comanche in the next year or so, and Im thinking of either a Warn M 8,000 or Superwinch LP 8500.

I personally know 3 people with Superwinch's mounted to thier rigs. 2 have some very long, hard pulls. All 3 are happy with thier winch's.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Back to 1 Jeep... for now rroadkilll's Avatar

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

AIRSTA Elizabeth City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me find the thread about what Superwinch did for a fellow MJer!!!

I think you may change you mind from the other post on NAXJA forum...

Back to 1 Jeep... for now rroadkilll's Avatar

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

AIRSTA Elizabeth City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the thread...

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...ad.php?t=16034

Read through it and comment or do what you wish...

I would personally purchase a winch from them in a heart beat!!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outstanding.......

Warn replaced a winch controller that was stolen(Along with the rest of my recovery bag) from the back of the Jeep for free.