2004 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 04 TJ questions

Ok I realize I will probably get a verbal beat down for asking this but I am new to the world of Jeeps so please forgive my ignorance.

A) What is the difference/advantage of sail cloth over a regular replacement top?

B) My TJ is going to be my DD & toy and I would like to give it a suspension lift and some new wheels/tires (33s). What lift should I look for that is reasonably priced that isn't the top of the line or a piece of $h!t. I am not looking to do extreme rock crawling or anything but I would like to take on some decent trail rides. Will I have to get new gears to run it properly?

C) What stuff should I do to the Jeep first to allow me to get out on the trail and not break to much expensive stuff? (Trying to do my upgrades on a single family income without sending the wife into a full blown freak out)

Thanks in advance for the advice/suggestions.

Brent

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 inches of lift will let you clear 33's with no rubbing. if you want 32's, all you need to look in to is a budget boost. I have a full traction 3 inch economy lift which settles at 3.5 inches and is inexpensive and great. You won't need to regear or do anything for 33's. the only thing you need to do with 3 inches or more of lift is drop the t-case or get a SYE. other than that, you're golden.
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a) cant help you with the tops
    b) If you want to run 33 in tires I would look at rough country. You can fit 33's with the 2.5 suspension lift and 1 in body lift combo they have. All said and done it is under $400 and not too bad. You will have to regear to keep the same power you have stock. you did not specify wether you have the 4 or 6 cylinder. The 4 comes with 3.73 already I believe. If you have the 6 cylinder I would look at 4.10 gears. I am sure you can get away with the stock gears but you will definately notice the loss in power.
    c) Once you start moding your Jeep it is impossible to stop. It is never good enough and you want more. That said, I would start with armor(skid plates) so you dont damage anything that could be quite expensive on the trail. Next I would look at lockers. They make the biggest impact offroading. Just my opinion and hope this has helped.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sailcloth is a quieter material. im not sure of pros or cons about how it acts in cold or heat like the canvas but a lot of people like em b/c they are quieter on the road.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I do have a 6 cylinder and was hoping not to lose too much power after the lift/wheel/tires. Thanks again!

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't need to regear for 33's. there are plenty of 3.07 dana 35's out there that do fine, although you will notice hills are a little but more of a pain. Also, I wouldn't lock anything stock- you'll probally just break something. If you have the money, sure. invest in some beefier axles with better gearing and lockers. if not, don't. 33's are a happy medium.
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1975 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What they said on 1 & 2. #3, I'd beef up the skid plates and get a good winch. Most breakage, (me included), usually occurs when we're trying to make a obstacle with brute power on the skinny peddle instead of slowly pulling over with the cable.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A: Not sure. I have a Best Top Sail cloth top on my CJ (it's a YJ top) and it's tough and quiet. Never ran a 'stock' top, so I'm not sure of the differences.

B: You don't have to regear for 33's, you'll find it a bit doggy, and 5th will be almost useless (if you have a stick) but a lot a guys run stock gears and 33's.

C: SEAT TIME! Best thing you can do to avoid breaking things, is to wheel it! Learn what it can and can't do, what it/you shouldn't do, and don't let anyone talk you onto doing something you're not comfortable doing.

Trail time/getting to know your rig is one of the best things you can do, even when it's stock.

As far as mods go, skid plates. Gas tank, tranny/Tcase, diff covers, all these can take abuse, and should be protected.

You can wheel without skid plates, but just be cautious, especially around rocks.

For more fun stuff/upgrades for the TJ, check out Stu Olsons sight, lots of great info there!

http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    What they said on 1 & 2. #3, I'd beef up the skid plates and get a good winch. Most breakage, (me included), usually occurs when we're trying to make a obstacle with brute power on the skinny peddle instead of slowly pulling over with the cable.
    Yep! Try and avoid bouncing or jumping, when the wheels start to hop, that's usually when things break.

Try a different line, or, like Tiff said, winch it over or get a tug with a strap. It's all about learning and having fun, no shame in getting a tug here and there. That's why Jeeps have tow points

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-2.5" budgeet/spring lift with shocks and a 1" body lift will let you run33" about cheap as possible w/o spending too much till you decide how you want to build your rig.

my way does not need a transfer case drop, new drive shafts or a slip yoke kit- easy way to start out
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast