Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gas Cans

Carry over discussion from 99TJ photo session...

The metal and plastic cans have their weak points. The metal cans do have a lining and as long as it is intact and you keep a pliable rubber gasket on the cap, they remain usable. Once the inside coating begins to flake off, it is time to discard it. The plastic ones last a long time IF you keep them out of the sun as much as possible. After storing mine outside beside a shed for a number of years, the plastic became brittle as glass and they just shattered. They also balloon up as the gas expands so you need to vent them a few times during the day when on the trail. The tough part these days is finding a plastic can that will fit the old jerry can tray. The mil spec ones do and are made of much better plastic, but I have only seen those for water, not fuel.

I canít speak highly enough about this Custom 4X4 Fabrication rear set-up. I have had it for 8 years, no rattles, never had to touch up the paint! I can open and close it with one hand which is convenient. One thing to look for in any rear bumper/carrier is how it attaches to the rear of the Jeep. I donít care for the ones that just use the 8 bolts like the stock bumper. This one has a ľĒ angled plate that runs about 8 inches back down the frame with a Grade 8 bolt through the frame. I looked at a lot of bumpers and Iíd say only a couple have this extra support. It gives me piece of mind for towing as well as strength for a bumper/rack load that can get up to about 200lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice setup.....I'll have to see what they offer for JKs....
    Jeeps are never done!!

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a mil spec jerry can for fuel. Each type, plastic and metal have there own, umm..., uhh... Mule Phallus. And just like the military they are not interchangeable. I'll dig one out of our connex later on and see if i can find the NSN. if your in the market for one anyway.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got my fuel can (red metal) from Chris. I paypalled someone for it like a year ago and could just never link up with the person to get it. It eventually made it's way through a bunch of local jeepers to me. Now I have a fuel can and no mount. Guess I have to get with Eddie and see what he can sell me.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The metal ones can be mounted a few different ways. I have one in a regular holder (passenger side) and one that sits on/over a piece of plywood. Both are secured on the top. The metal cans have an indent of about 3/4'' that allow this.

I use a siphon hose when filling from a gerry can, keeping it about 4-6'' from the bottom to avoid sucking up any debris. A 6' chunk of clear hose, and set the can on the spare tire. Fills quick and no mess.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always like the hand crank pumps they work well and are much better than siphoning it by mouth and they are very cheap.
    2006 Unlimited

I will not Tiptoe through life only to arrive safely to my death, with no scars or stories to tell. I will enter Hell sideways in a Burning pile of rubble, with a smile on my face asking if I can do it again !???