2000 to Present

Closest Installation

NAS Point Mugu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 302???

I was just woundering if anyone has put a 302 into their TJ?? I you have what did you do to accompish this task?
    Don't be affraid to ask dumb question's they are easier to handle than a stupid Mistake...........

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lent a hand here and there with my buddys yj. He did a 5.0 from an explorer(cam is more for low torque) with mustang heads(cobra I think). Going with a manual trans will make it simpler. He went with T-18 with 6.32(if I remember right)grannie gear We threw in an extra 231 tcase I had but threw in a wide chain and 6planetary gear to help with the torque(pulled from a 231c in junkyard). He used a jb super short sye. It is short...nice product but had a hard time getting ahold of them to place order. Axles are gonna have to be upgraded to handle the 5.0. He went with 9"rear HP44 front detroit rear/locrite front.4.56. Tom woods drive shafts front and rear. He had to order ford racing headers. Its a special one that clears firewall and he had them ceramic coated. He welds so he made his own motor mounts and exhaust. Painless wiring harness let him use stock gauges but he upgraded. Oil filter relocation braket/custom brakets for accesories. He has been running stock radiator and taurus electric fan with no problems so far cooling. He upgraded fuel pump but it wasnt neccesary according to some but he just felt better. 15000 would be a guess what he has in it. Cant wait to see what it can do sunday at the badlands. There is a great thread on pirate 4x4 in the harcore section I will see if I can find a link for ya.

Personnelly I am looking for a grand with a 360 or 318 as a donor so I can reuse stuff like wiring and things here and there. But thats down the road might even be on next project..

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here you go.... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=TOTW happy reding. It is an awesome thread if your serious about what you may be in for

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would find an explorer with the 5.0 and grab the whole drivetrain out of it.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is an adapter needed to connect the 231 to a ford trans I forgot to mention.
    Explorer motor is fine but I think they only came in auto and Its a push button style tcase which is undesirable

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
    Here you go.... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=TOTW happy reding. It is an awesome thread if your serious about what you may be in for
    very good thread I read that a while back.

I know this may be off topic but since we're talkin Ford power plants..

A 351W would be kick ass in a jeep.. bore it 40 over put a holley off road carb on it and go to town.
    `89 YJ 33's 4" lift, High-lined front and rear "The Mistress"
    ** NOTE TO SELF** it is illegal to stab stupid people in the eye with a pencil

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me the whole issue is the bigger heavier motor, more torque and hp the bigger the axles have to be to handle it. The bigger the axles/pumpkin the bigger the tires need to be to maintain clearance. It seems if you want to drive the rig while you build it would be smart to start with axles and build your rig with the motor trans being the final piece. Because no way will stock axles hold up.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly the winsors are the same size as a 302, and the clevelands are the big beasts.

but I agree, more hp, torque you're gonna need stouter axles tranny, tc ect.
    `89 YJ 33's 4" lift, High-lined front and rear "The Mistress"
    ** NOTE TO SELF** it is illegal to stab stupid people in the eye with a pencil

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

NAS Point Mugu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 302 out of a bronco and was just throwing the idea around. I have Dana 44's right now but would move up to 60 or 9" in the rear. Thanks for all the info.
    Don't be affraid to ask dumb question's they are easier to handle than a stupid Mistake...........

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One last thing to consider-On average,Ford motorbuilds will always cost more than GM about 3-4dollars more per horse power....And GM way more plentiful more parts on the shelf.
    Go Navy!!