1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default axle u-joints?

whats the easiest way to change the u joints in the axle? is it possible to change them without pulling the wheel assembly? is there enough play in there once you press out the caps to wiggle it out? 06 tj by the way
    " if you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English, thank a Soldier"

I READ TODD DID

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1975 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's possible but it's just a lot easier just to go ahead and yank them and work on a bench instead of trying to put a vise or c clamp in such a small space while working upside down. It's just 2 bolts (13mm 12 star) on the caliper. slide it off then 2 bolts 1/2 in I remember right and pull out the assembly.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    It's possible but it's just a lot easier just to go ahead and yank them and work on a bench instead of trying to put a vise or c clamp in such a small space while working upside down. It's just 2 bolts (13mm 12 star) on the caliper. slide it off then 2 bolts 1/2 in I remember right and pull out the assembly.
    Should be 3 bolts for the unit-bearing.

Not worth the hassle of trying to replace them with the axle in (if it's even posible?)

The newer Jeeps are very easy to remove the axle shafts, no grease, no setting wheel bearing preload, no mess!

You do need a big socket for the axle ahst nut, IIRC it's a 36MM.

When reassembling, use some Anti-Sieze on everything. When you break an axle/joint on the trail and need to replace it there, you'll be glad you did!!

If you've never done it before, here's some great info on it.

(This is for s stuck/stubborn unit bearing, but covers the basics)

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unit...tbearing-1.htm

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really is simple, if you don't have wheel caps you might loosen the axle nut before you jack up the tires - it is a bitch - I used a cheater. Mine has center caps so I had the wife step on the brake and hold the steering wheel while I broke the axle nut. Once the wheels are off take the axle nut off then there are three 13mm bolts that hold the unit bearing together you can get away with just taking the two 21mm nuts off of the brake pad assembly and pulling the while thing off. You don't even have to take the brake line or ABS wires loose, just set the brake assembly on the control arm. The axle shaft will pull right out. Take a peak down the axle tube to see if there is any dirt or gunk on the end near the diff - you don't want to push that into the seal when you put the shaft back in.

Axle nut removed:

Three 13mm nuts, one is a little hard to get to but you can turn the wheel all the way out to get to it with a short socket and a ratchet

You can pull the brake line / ABS sensor out of its mount and move it out of the way while you are wrenching

Then just set the brake assembly on the control arm or a block of wood so it doesnt pull too hard on the lines

If you go with stock U's have the cap tacked while you have it out.. might get more miles out of it.

You can do an axle swap on the trail in about 20 minutes.... it really is a simple operation.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The easier way is to not even take off the axle nut. Once the brake caliper, pads and rotor are off, take off the 3 bolts holding the unit bearing on and whack it a few times with a mallet to knock it loose. Unit bearing and axle assembly will slide out as one.
    Too easy.
    treefrog